PDA

View Full Version : External DLL for passwords

Oliver Sparrow
06-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Installations under a user-specific password needs an external function. SoftComplete www.softcomplete.com sold me HardKey for this purpose. They now no longer answer e-mails, so I suppose them to be out of business. However, they seem to be widely used, and I hope that someone can help me by filling in the blanks.

My question is this: how does one use the dll that HardKey generates? (I have called it HardKeyVerify below, and it contains a function that I think is called VerifyRegCode(), but who knows except the author, in truth.)

My approach has been as follows:

prototype BOOL HardKeyVerify.VerifyRegCode ();

function OnBegin()
BOOL bPassDLL;
string szDLLName;
begin
szDLLName = SUPPORTDIR^"HardKeyVerify.dll";

UseDLL (szDLLName);
bPassDLL = VerifyRegCode();
UnUseDLL(szDLLName);
end;

function OnFirstUIBefore()
etcetera

..but I am a newbie to Installshield and this is probably completely wrong. Could someone please guide me with this? Or suggest a better solution to the overall password problem that does not involve defunct companies?

RobertDickau
06-02-2005, 01:58 PM
(Follow-up here (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?p=321659#post321659).)

Oliver Sparrow
06-06-2005, 03:54 AM
First, thank you for your reply.

We bought Installshield new last year, where it came in an impressive looking box but with no written documentation whatever. The electronic help was written to supprt expert users, with no introduction wotrth reading.

We have now had to buy an expensive - $200 - booklet from you, which shows us that we need a custom dialog box. However, to create this requires us to buy a Visual C++ compiler, which costs around US$1200.

We had asked the people who sold us the product in August 2004 to check with Macromedia whether you could accommodate third party installation keys and was given a breezy affirmative. We now find that whilst this is technically true, the integration requires a range of skills and software that will costs us dear. Any help from Macromedia will also cost us yet more money. However, so fragmented is the web site and so hapless the direct response to any e-mails - boiler plate, apologies - that we cannot even find out where to spend this money.

A very large project is now stalled, the printer is waiting to finalise the documentation and we are dead in the water.

This is, frankly, unacceptable. It is shoddy and a ridiculous response to what must be a standard, basic requirement of any installer. As far as I can see, our best practical and financial option is to throw away the Macromedia product and buy Wise instead, as their integration is handled through a straightforward script with no additional compilation. This is really not good enough.

Oliver Sparrow
06-06-2005, 04:24 AM
We have now downloaded a beta of MS Visual C++. Running this on the example which you provide, it turns out that an included file (#include <windows.h>) for which it calls does not exist. Congratulations.