PDA

View Full Version : Condition-based component fails to write correct Property values to Registry

philbond
06-02-2005, 05:27 AM
Hi all,

I'm hoping that this is simply a case of me not understanding MSI-type installs well enough...

My install has a custom dialog which asks the user for some Property values. These Properties are defined in Property Manager with default values. System Search tries to find their current values stored in the registry (HKLM). This all works fine: if the settings already exist under HKLM, my dialog shows those settings, otherwise it shows the defaults.

I have a Component that writes these values back to HKLM on the Condition that the user is an AdminUser. I also have a Component that writes these values to a similar path under HKCU if the user is NOT an AdminUser. Neither of these Components do anything other than write the registry settings.

If the values are written to HKLM (i.e., the user is an AdminUser) then all is good; however, if the user is NOT an AdminUser, the DEFAULT values assigned to the Properties are written to HKCU and NOT the values entered into the custom dialog by the user.

I'm wondering if there is something else I need to set in order for my non- AdminUser to update the Property values?

Can anyone help?

RobertDickau
06-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Assuming you're using public properties (since the admin case works), perhaps see if adding the SecureCustomProperties property to the Property Manager with the names of your properties works? If you create an MSI log file for the non-admin case, are the correct values in it?

philbond
06-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the advice, Robert! All I needed to do was add SecureCustomProperties with my list of properties and it worked fine. Many thanks!