PDA

View Full Version : Undesirable changes when converting ISM to XML format

davbrown2
05-27-2005, 05:21 PM
I have an MSI InstallScript project that was originally developed with IS Dev8, then with IS Premier 10.5, now using IS Premier 11.0.

The ism project file was in binary.

I converted the project to XML, and notice several undesirable side effects under General Information/Product Properties:

* the product name changed to the name of the project file - e.g. my Product Name was "StarQuest Data Replicator", and the ism file is called "sqdr.ism". After conversion, the Product name is "sqdr"

* the Product Code GUID changed (causing the installer to do a remove/install rather than a simple upgrade when I install it over the previous)

These are just the things I immediately noticed, and I am worried that other things may have changed that I haven't discovered yet.

Does anyone know:

* Does anything else change?

* Is this as designed or a bug?

* Is there any problem with changing those values back to what they were?

* If I continue to use binary format, I have one issue - perhaps someone can suggest a better way. I am exploring how to use Standalone Builder, and a critical feature that we need is to be able to update the product version number. I thought using XML format would suffice, but I am unhappy with the side effects (especially if there are more that I'm not aware of). Is there any other way to update the product version number when using SAB?

MichaelU
05-27-2005, 06:41 PM
I haven't previously heard of that behavior when converting a project to XML storage. That aside, you can use the standalone automation interface to make this kind of change to your ISM file before build. The ISWiProject object has a read/write property ProductVersion. You can search our help documentation at http://support.installshield.com for [standalone automation interface] and/or[automation interface] to get more information on how to use it.

davbrown2
06-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the response. Using the automation interface sounds interesting - how does one do that? I am guessing it would involve the use of VBScript or VB? Or is there something simpler?

As for my original problem (that the GUID & project name changed), it was operator error - when I saved the project after converting to XML, I didn't notice the two checkboxes at the bottom of the Save AS dialog (both of which default to checked):

* Create and assig a new project GUID to the save projects
* Update the project settings appropriately based on the new project name

RobertDickau
06-02-2005, 09:15 AM
For the basic idea about Automation, please see this ancient InstallShield newsletter tip: http://www.installshield.com/news/newsletter/archives/0104_ipwi-automation.asp. The COM ProgID used in CreateObject has changed, but the idea is the same.