PDA

View Full Version : problem with embedded variable in <path> for application launch



gingergee
05-25-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm trying to launch an associated application where the file location varies by language, but it uses the same hotspot:
../../documentation/1033/usersguide.pdf <--- english users guide
../../documentation/1041/usersguide.pdf <--- japanese users guide

I added an invisible text object with text "1033". In the exported text I set it to "1041" for data.jpn.

I thought that I would be able to set the action to this:
<path>../../documentation/<Main Menu.lang_directory>/usersguide.pdf <path>
but it doesn't appear to work. I'm guessing that the <path> interferes with the resolution of <Main Menu.lang_directory>.

I figure I could launch a .bat file and pass the .bat file the language, but it seems pretty kludgy. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Ginger

ps. I'm using DemoShield 6.01.

Chandy Navarata
05-31-2005, 01:59 PM
I would suggest that you replace the hidden text object with a variable object to store the language folder name. You cannot use text objects in token strings.

Regards,

gingergee
05-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the pointer. I couldn't figure out how to get a variable to be set via language, but it started me playing around with other things and I ended up with the right solution, which was this:

Add an Event. For the comparison, select Global|Language and compare it to constant JPN. Use the True/False condition actions to launch the docs from the language-dependent directories.

(It was right there all along and I just didn't see it!)