PDA

View Full Version : SQL Upgrading from DEV9

Dan Crosby
05-24-2005, 10:43 AM
In our DEV9 project we installed a named instance of MSDE 2000, then mounted the .mdf and .ldf files.

I've now been tasked with updating the install so that we can offer to use existing SQL servers. I've managed to import the database to make a .sql file, but I'm not sure how to proceed (I don't know anything about SQL, which makes this hard):

1) I need to detect existing SQL servers (e.g., SQL 2000, MSDE 2000 etc.) and offer to use one of them. Once selected I need to mount my database (?) into it using my script (I guess).

2) If no servers exist, I need to install MSDE 2000, then mount my database into it.

Anyone got any pointers? Hints? Tips? Anything at all?

I can only offer gratitude in return,

Cheers

hidenori
05-26-2005, 11:53 PM
InstallShield 11 has the native SQL Server support. Once you add connections and SQL scripts in the SQL Scripts view, InstallShield automatically adds the SQLLogin and SQLBrowse dialog so that you can select a server and specify login information at run-time. The SQLBrowse dialog queries and lists the SQL Servers on your network.

For the second question, you would need to write your own code using either SQL-DMO or ADO to query SQL Servers and install MSDE 2000 if no server is found.

Hope this helps.