PDA

View Full Version : stop and start IIS

SGorman
05-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Amazingly, I can't find any posts that mention this. Everybody must already know how to do it :-)

How would one stop and later restart IIS -- just make a custom action or something that runs iisreset /stop and iisreset /start?

burked
05-24-2005, 12:06 PM
It's easier to use the NT Services view and stop the IISAdmin service when needed. You can also Start it when necessary as well.

davidh
05-25-2005, 04:38 PM
The InstallShield IIS view has the option to restart the IIS server automatically if you click on the 'Web Sites' node. I'm not sure if this is what you are specifically looking for.

pranav
05-26-2005, 09:05 AM
Somehow I couldn't use it. For stopping IISAdminService, no problem it seems since it stops all dependent services. But when I try to start IISAdminService, it just starts that service only. How can I be sure which components of IIS are installed on the WebServer (WWW, SMTP, FTP, ILS) which I need to start all indeed when I reach StartService custom action. I simply wrote a CA calling iisreset.exe and passing parameters as /start & /stop. But there are 2 problems in that
1. It shows a cmd popup window
2. When custom action fails it gives windows installed 1722 error.
How can I handle this. I would like to have my own custom message when the custom action fails.

davidh
05-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Instead of using a custom action to start services, perhaps you could use InstallShield. Look under the the Advanced Settings of a component under 'Control NT Services.'

rachana
06-08-2007, 03:34 AM
Instead of using a custom action to start services, perhaps you could use InstallShield. Look under the the Advanced Settings of a component under 'Control NT Services.'

Suppose I want to add my own messagebox. I want to supress installshield messagebox then what to do?

davidh
06-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Sorry if this is obvious, but which specific messagebox are you referring to? Maybe copy the text you see here.