PDA

View Full Version : Problems adding an unsupported language (Galician)

icnocop
05-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Hello.

I am trying to add an unsupported language in my InstallShield 11 InstallScript Project.

I have followed the InstallSheild Support Article q106687:
HOWTO: Adding an Unsupported Language to a Project

I am able to see Galician as a language that I can select in the InstallShield IDE and the media builds okay with a few quirks that I can manage to work-around.

However, the most critical problem I am experiencing is that I get an empty error message dialog every time I try to access a value from the string table using the "@STRING_TABLE_ENTRY_NAME" syntax when using my new language in my InstallScript code (ex. in OnBegin event).

Any thoughts, ideas, work-arounds?

Thank you.

icnocop
05-23-2005, 06:30 PM
The problem seems to be because the InstallShield Script Compiler does not include the unsupported language files (Galician), as indicated in the build output.

My resources point me to the following files in the "C:\Program Files\InstallShield 11\Support\Build" directory:
_user.ipc
_user.ipf
_userobj.ipc
_userobj.ipf

But modifying these files to the best of my knowledge to include the unsupported language does not produce any different results.

icnocop
05-24-2005, 01:24 AM
ISCab.exe does not seem to be able to create new components.

Error: Item not found in the collection: '<Support>Galician Files'

Anyone know if there is any way to manually or programmatically edit/modify the data1.hdr file to create new components?

Tim Mayert
05-25-2005, 08:48 AM
I am trying to add Galician as well but I can not see the check-box to add that language. I am using XP SP2. What did you have to do to have the Galician check-box show up for selection?

Thanks,

icnocop
05-25-2005, 12:52 PM
I received this response from InstallShield support:
"... unsupported languages will not work with a pure InstallScript project. Although you can modify your add new language wizard in which appears that your project now support the languages but the build and run time engine were not designed to support this and it won’t work in the end. The KB article as you have mentioned Q106687, is mis-worded, in that unsupported language will work with an Installscript MSI project and a Basic MSI project and not a pure InstallScript project. The only possible work-around at this time is to convert to an InstallScript MSI project."

I had to perform several additional steps to get the language to actually show up as a check-box, but I'm not sure if all of these are required:
1. create "<ISInstallDir>\Redist\0456"
2. create "<ISInstallDir>\Support\0x0456.ini"
3. modify "<ISInstallDir>\Support\Langs.ini"
4. modify "<ISInstallDir>\Support\Language.dat"
5. modify "<ISInstallDir>\Support\ProLanguage.dat"
6. create and set registry key "HKLM\SOFTWARE\InstallShield\10.50\Professional\Languages\1110" to the value of "Installed"

Tim Mayert
05-25-2005, 12:57 PM
My project is a Basic MSI project with no InstallScript at all. So I should have been able to see it.

Is there any code pages that need to be installed onto the machine so that it will show up in the languages dialog box?

Thanks,

icnocop
05-25-2005, 10:23 PM
You shouldn't need to install any code pages in order to see the language.

Make sure you have correctly followed the installshield article q106687.
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q106687

It indicates that you must be running the Premier edition and run "Tools > Add New Language" in the InstallShield IDE.

Tim Mayert
07-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Okay I have Galician as a selectable language and it seems to build properly, but I have just ran into a problem where if the machine Language, that is running this install, is set Galician then the install will recieve a 1322 error right at the begining and exit. Have you see this? If I try to log the install it will not get this error and complete successfully.

Thanks,

icnocop
07-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Sorry, I have not seen this type of behavior.

Tim Mayert
07-21-2005, 07:33 AM
I sort of figured it out. Our String table only contained a small set of strings that were translated and the rest remained English. What I did was replace all the strings for English and then the install worked. It seemed that the install did not like a partially translated string table, or there was a corrupt string in the list. Either way it is working now and I'll watch for that again.