PDA

View Full Version : Setting Properties on an IIS Site

michaellevy
05-22-2005, 02:46 PM
I am using an InstallScript MSI project. The Internet Information Services view provides very limited properties that can be configured. How can I set additional properties on a new site that the installation creates?

For instance I want to uncheck the "Enable session state" and "Enable parent paths" check boxes in the Application Configuration dialog. I also want to change some of the default logging properties.

Thanks,
Michael Levy

davidh
05-25-2005, 04:42 PM
You might be interested in the ISIISMetaData Table. See the IS help for this. We tried to add properties to the IIS view that are most common, however we provided this table for less-common properties that you can't find in the view that you need to set. However, you can use the ISIISMetaData Table to set other IIS properties. However, you will have to refer to MSDN documentation to find the names of properties you are trying to set so you can correctly populate this table via the Direct Editor.

CiaranT
09-09-2005, 06:33 AM
For anyone else coming across this thread, the easiest way to find out what properties you need to edit in the metatable is to download the IIS MetaEdit utility from microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q232068&id=kb;en-us;q232068

Set up your virtual directories as you want them, then run this up and see what's been set.

MHolmes
09-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Now the really important question: Can I modify individual file properties using the ISIISMetaTable? I need to set very specific file level permissions under the virtual directory. I can do it using tools like MetaEdit, but I need to do it at install time. Note, these are not Windows ACL permissions but specific IIS permissions stored in the metabase. I know how they are layed out in the metabase, but I am not sure how to accuratley reflect them in the Direct Editor.

davidh
09-09-2005, 12:43 PM
We support web site and virtual directory-level properties. Setting file-level properties is outside the scope of our IIS support. However, can you set the property on the virtual directory containing the files? I believe the files in the virtual directory would inherit the property values of their virtual directory. Not sure about this though. However, you do say the word 'individual, which makes me think the different files in the directory might have different settings in which case you probably wouldn't want all the files to have the same property values as the directory.

deanmcm
09-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Does anyone at Macrovision (I'm specifically referring to Installshield developers here) know what are the Metabase settings to use for creating the IIS virtual Directory's Application Name (Metabase Id = AppFriendlyName).

Although your post mentions adding entries to the ISIISMetadata table in IS11, IIS's Metabase values seem to be configured with pre-populated string constants, whereas the ISIISMetadata table requires numeric values. It's not immediately obvious what values the string constants have, so it's difficult to add anything meaningful to the ISIISMetadata table. The Microsoft Metabase Editor Help is not enlightening.

There are also other posts on this community which relate to IS11 not creating the application name for the web site when installing. Is this a known bug, or is there a work-around such as using the ISIISMetadata table?

Thanks,
Dean.

davidh
09-21-2005, 03:11 PM
In future releases, newly created web sites should have the application name "Default Application". This was implemented with Issue# IOC-000033590. However, I believe you can manually do this by setting the AppName column in the ISIISCommon table.

As far as the settings in the ISIISMetaData table, you have to look up what values you need for that table in MSDN. For example, following is the table values for the property 'AspAllowSessionState':
MetaDataProp: 7011
MetaDataType: 1
MetaDataUserType: 101
MetaDataAttributes: 1
Order: 0
MetaDataValue: -1 (this sets this to FALSE)

I got these values by looking through the MSDN Metabase Reference. This specific property is at the following link:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/iissdk/html/f62bc146-b8c7-4ed0-a46f-fc8d57e810bb.asp

Hopefully this will help you get started.

deanmcm
09-26-2005, 10:17 PM
I'm still obviously not getting it right, the properties on the link you specified are (for AppFriendlyName):

ADSI/WMI Data Type STRING
ABO Data Type STRING_METADATA
Schema Default null
Internal Default Default Application
Upper Bound Not specified
Lower Bound Not specified
Internal ID 2102
Friendly ID MD_APP_FRIENDLY_NAME
Property Attributes INHERIT
User Type IIS_MD_UT_WAM

However what are the values for each property? Some, like Internal ID are obvious (2102) but what are the entries for

MetaDataType
MetaDataUserType
MetaDataAttributes
Order
MetaDataValue

Hope you can help,
Thanks,
Dean.