PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding "resiliency"

bjaber
05-21-2005, 12:16 AM
I had some questions about resiliency which I'm hoping to get answered. I appreciate (in advance) for any help that you all can provide.

1) Aside from setting a components key file, is there anything else that needs to be set in the package to make a component "resilient"?

2) The application that I'm packaging updates some of it's own files through a different (prorietary) process than MSI patching, etc. If a file that is made resilient gets overwritten with a NEW version of the SAME file (i.e. newer date and possibly different checksum), will Windows Installer try to self-heal this file with the one that is in the Installer package cache? Even if it's the SAME name of file?

3) Exactly "when" does resiliency occur? I mean, at what point does Windows Installer see that a file is missing and tries to replace/restore it? At application launch time? Immediate when the file is deleted?

4) Is there something in the launch shortcut that needs to be done to tell an app to first have Windows Installer check it for missing files before it launches? Today, I just have a standard shortcut to the main GUI EXE. This is a standard shortcut and not one line you see in an MS Office where the shortcuts actually target a "feature" within a "product" rather than an actual EXE. Can some please help clear this up for me?

5) Can files other than .EXE and .DLL be made resilient?

Thanks!
--Basim

chris_p
05-23-2005, 03:54 AM
Hi!

refering to the resilience time, I think it is application start time. Have you ever noticed the M$ Office installer window popping up when starting one of the programs?
see "unexpected start of windowsInstaller" (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=148125)

I'm sorry that I can't provide more information.

chris