PDA

View Full Version : Create a patch for an existing MSI

lnuxguy
05-20-2005, 02:06 PM
How can I create a regular patch (not a QuickPatch) for an existing MSI (one I downloaded)?

RobertDickau
05-20-2005, 02:16 PM
You can first convert the MSI into an InstallShield project by using File > Open, with type set to Wizard; and then build the baseline MSI.

You can then modify the source files, change the product version and so forth, and use the Patch Design view to set properties of the patch...

Tim Mayert
06-16-2005, 12:15 PM
I am trying to use the Patch Design to create a patch and I get nothing but errors when I build the batch.

If I simply build the project and run the install when the previous version is there then it will perform the upgrade properly and all new or updated files are there perfectly.

Also since all my installs are created in Compressed mode it does it tries to extract the install into a baseline folder, but fails unless I make the baseline folder on the root of my C: drive.

Why is it so hard to create a simple patch? Quick patch worked okay, but since some of my feature that I am adding did not exist it make it harder to add files without the features.