PDA

View Full Version : Extract Com Data for Key File - NOTHING HAPPENS

idblew
05-19-2005, 06:05 AM
I've had this problem with InstallShield X as well. :eek:

I'm trying to extract COM data from a series of OCXs - some work, some don't!

An earlier versions of InstallShield (6 I think!) appears to have worked fine.

:confused: Any ideas????

looeee
05-20-2005, 04:31 AM
can the ocx's register from their current folder? (dependency question)

are there any license files that they need?

can you see COM information when you open them with RegspyUI.exe in the installshield\support folder?

looeee

br_aguilar
05-20-2005, 09:21 AM
ive been having this problem aswell.

what I did was i wrote up a quick batch file whcih registers the .ocx's using dos. That way i can see whether it was installshield or the ocx itself. Low and behold it was the ocx itself which was not registering and it was not a problem with IS.

I would give that a try...

looeee
05-20-2005, 09:26 AM
a batch file'd give you no rollback, no uninstall, no advertising, no self-repair
I can't recommend that at all.

It is best to persevere with InstallShield

looeee

br_aguilar
05-20-2005, 10:14 AM
i did not mean do that in the installshield project itslef...do this on the side to test if the ocx files are even working. The problem that I had was that one was not working so it was not the fault of installshield but rather my own.

looeee
05-20-2005, 10:21 AM
oh I see. Whew!!

Other diagnostics you could try are:
open regsvr32 in DependencyWalker (DependencyWalker.com) and go to the Profiling menu. Put your OCX in the Commandline Arguments box. DependencyWalker will watch the control register and capture any errors.

You could try to register with RegDrop from www.addisonsw.com

looeee

br_aguilar
05-20-2005, 10:24 AM
yeah...sorry for not making myself clear.

ocx's are tricky but you have to use brute force method to get them to work register...

idblew
05-23-2005, 02:48 AM
Having searched other forums I finally found the answer. :D

The OCXs that weren't producing COM information required the MFC 7.1 libraries - by placing these in a directory and then adding the directory into my PATH, everything kicked into life.

Would it not be better if InstallShield reported that the OCX required additional libraries to extract COM information rather than doing nothing??!!!