PDA

View Full Version : Installs are 2.5MB larger

neildavidson
05-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Since I moved to InstallShield 11, the install I'm making seems to be about 2MB larger.

I am creating a setup.exe, but am not including the msi engine or anything like that.

If I create a release with the setup files outside of the msi, then the msi is 2MB. This seems kind of large since it contains no files.

Any ideas?

RobertDickau
05-14-2005, 12:53 PM
If it's the same project, perhaps see if one of the MSI-difference tools under the Tools menu points to anything new?

neildavidson
05-14-2005, 02:22 PM
I'll take a look. Do you know of any way of seeing what's in a msi file, and how big each bit is? From what I understand, it's just a set of tables - is there any way of finding out the size of each table / row?

RobertDickau
05-15-2005, 11:12 AM
It depends what tables you want to see: if you want to check files that will be installed, you can perform an administrative installation (msiexec /a product.msi), but for other tables (Binary and Icon and such like) you might need to manually extract the files with Direct Editor or something like that, or write a script...

neildavidson
05-16-2005, 03:07 AM
I exported the .msi file using msidb.exe and saw that one of the application icons was 2MB. It turns out that InstallShield had embedded the entire .exe file as an icon rather than stripping out the .ico file. I edited the icon property of the shortcut, rebuilt it and the problem went away.