PDA

View Full Version : sound files delete last letter in text box captions



Alan Gibbins
05-12-2005, 12:44 AM
When trying to add sound files (WAV) to a demo (using 7.53), I am experiencing problems with captions in text boxes. Specifically, the last letter of each caption is deleted in text boxes that are made visible on mouse-over. This happens regardless of how many letters are in the caption.

The text boxes are multi-style text, Arial 11, 10 pixel spacing with captions enabled. The sound files are MPEG Layer-3, 56K bit/s 24000 Hz Stereo.

The demos will run fine in the player but when a CD is made using the Setup Wizard, the text box captions are abbreviated. Single Executables work fine but don't suit my current purposes.

I've tried importing and importing by reference but the result is the same and only removal of the sound files returns the text box captions back to normal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Chandy Navarata
05-12-2005, 10:17 AM
It would help if you can post a copy of your demo or email it to cnavaratan@macrovision.com.

Regards,

EthanBedwyr
05-12-2005, 05:29 PM
This sounds suspiciously similar to a problem that has been encountered with some of my company's products as a result of interference from certain third party applications. The following is a list of applications which, if running at the same time as our aps (or maybe in your case, at the same time as your demo?), can cause these kinds of problems:

Hotbar (hbsrvr.exe & hbinst.exe)
Demo Shield (Softtalkr.exe)
Panic Ware (DPPS2.exe)
iTouch.exe (Installed with a Logitech Optical Mouse)
eBLVD (www.eBLVD.com - Online Meeting / Remote Desktop Software)
OmniPage (Opware32.exe)


I haven't personally verified any of these myself except for Softtalker.exe. If you do a search of this forum for that file name, I suspect you'll find questions about the file. I believe it used to be installed with older versions of DemoShield, ostensibly to provide user metrics or something to InstallShield. Anyway, if nothing else helps you might try checking for any of these applications on the destination system and shutting 'em down to see if it helps.

Good luck. :)

Alan Gibbins
05-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Excellent suggestion - it's a possibility that I had completely overlooked. I've just reduced the size of the voice-over files and once they have been re-inserted I'll run the demo again, following your suggestion, and we'll see how things turn out!

Thanks