PDA

View Full Version : Failed to install ISKernel Files

Bubble Maker
05-10-2005, 07:45 AM
I've upgrated one of my basic MSI installation from 10.5 to 11. After rebuilding the package and starting the installation i get the following error:
1: Extracting ISBEW64A.exe to d:\Temp\User\{37792AAF-0DEF-470E-B361-79AE5E2F6A72}
1: Trying to install C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\ISBEW64A.exe...
1: After file installation, return code = 0
1: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\ISBEW64A.exe" /RegServer
1: Failed to create process '"C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\ISBEW64A.exe" /RegServer', return code is 0xc1
1: Failed to install ISKernel Files.
Make sure you have appropriate privileges on this machine.

What's going on here?

Can somebody help?

PS: I have all rights as admin, domain admin etc.

Bubble Maker
05-10-2005, 09:44 AM
I'am using some InstallScript custom actions in my installation.
I attached the InstallShield Scripting Engine in the Redistributable folder to my features.
If the scripting engine is not installed or not uptodate on the target machine, there is no need to use setup.exe. The msi handles this.
This works fine with Version 10.5 and i use it in a lot of my projects.
But 11.0 seems to be incompatible with the installed v10.0 InstallShieldScriptingEngine.msm.
I've opened a support request.

JacobLevin
05-12-2005, 12:31 PM
This is an issue with that being the 10.0 InstallScript engine merge module being installed.

We are planning on issuing an update in the near future that will provide the new merge module that should fix this.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Tim Owers
05-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Can we be informed via an email alert as soon as the 11.0 InstallScript engine merge module is released?
I cannot release any v11 installations without this (all msi only).

Thank you.

Tim Owers

Senior Software Engineer, Sophos
Web: www.sophos.com
Sophos - protecting businesses against viruses and spam

JacobLevin
05-19-2005, 10:22 AM
I don't think there will be any email sent out to announce the fix, but it will show up in the update service when you check for updates.

I will also post a notice on this thread when it has been released and if you subscribe to this thread via email notification you'll get a notice when the thread has been updated.

Tim Owers
05-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Ok Thanks for the info Jacob.
I'll just have to keep checking back here as all our dev machines do not have internet access.
Tim.

ddeward
05-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Just to add more pressure :) I have the same problem. Any idea on how long? Days, Weeks, Months???

Dan

JacobLevin
05-27-2005, 01:59 PM
Just to add more pressure :) I have the same problem. Any idea on how long? Days, Weeks, Months???

Dan

We are planning on releasing a fix for this along with some others in one bundle quite soon. However this issue is fixed with a new InstallShield Scripting Engine merge module that has been verified to fix this.

I have attached a zipped up copy of the fixed merge module which you can copy to your program files\installshield 11\Modules\i386 folder and replace the existing MSM file in there with this one (back the old one up if you want to keep it for some reason).

Then you should be able to just open your project and rebuild it.

If you're in the US, have a great Memorial Day weekend, if you're not in the US then just have a great weekend :)

ddeward
05-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks Jacob! You're awesome. If this works I might have a good Memorial Day weekend.

Dan

JSClark
08-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Jacob:

Will this Merge Module work with InstallShield X 10.0 SP1?
i.e. program files\installshield X\Modules\i386\

JacobLevin
08-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Jacob:

Will this Merge Module work with InstallShield X 10.0 SP1?
i.e. program files\installshield X\Modules\i386\

I'm not sure about that. This module installs the InstallShield 11 scripting engine so there might be some issues that we haven't foreseen.

I haven't used this version of this merge module with that specific version of the product so I can't give you any specific information.

If you want the latest version of the scripting merge module for 10 specifically then please check out our merge module gallery (http://www.installshield.com/downloads/modules.asp?prod=isx&lan=english&xmlUse=n).

trevrobwhite
11-04-2005, 09:23 AM
I've just downloaded and compiled the fix but I still get :
1: Failed to install ISKernel Files.
Make sure you have appropiate privileges on this machine.

I am running as a standard user that have elevated permissions, its running from a merge module inside a Basic MSI project. There is currently no InstallScript Engine on the machine and it is fresh out of box (as a VmWare machine).

Is there anything else I can try?

By the way it works if I directly run the .msi file that an installer churns out, but that doesn't help me as my installer errors before it runs the the installer if I embed it.

I've tried looking at the .msm file directly but it looks to be empty.

JacobLevin
11-04-2005, 11:30 AM
trevrobwhite,

I'm guessing the issue here has to do with the fact that you're installing with elevated privileges. This is just a guess, but there might be a problem with the actual engine file being launched without the privileges that the MSI has been given. To verify this you could try installing as an admin and if it works then that's the issue.

I have changed the product I am working on and unfortunately I can't look into this at any time soon. However I will be forwarding this thread and your forum post with it to the testing team for this product so they can look at it. They may likely be too busy to verify this soon(I don't know their schedule too well right now), but I'll make sure they are aware of it.

Otherwise, what you can do is contact our support department (http://support.installshield.com/setup.asp) and report it to them.

I wish I could just give you a better and more helpful answer.

Chandima
11-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Jacob just notified me about this issue. Could you tell me how I can recreate this issue? Would the following steps do it?

1. Create a new Basic Msi project (using IS 11).
2. Add an installscript custom action.
3. Build.
4. Run this setup on a clean machine (with no installscript engine) with elevated priviledges. This causes a runtime error when it tries to launch the Custom Action.

Also has this scenario worked for you with previous versions of our product? If you have a sample project (with just notepad.exe) that reproduces the problem, please attach it here so that I can take a look. Thanks!

MikhailSh
04-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Chandima
Did you already test it? Did you have any recomendations?
I've got the same problem.
Task description:
Install MSI Basic project (project was created using Instalshield 11 with Hotfix4 installed) on W2K pro for nonadmin user ( you see I couldn't use setup.exe)

Actions:
1. I've created MSI Basic project with some instalscript custom actions
2. Try to QA it on W2K pro for nonadmin user ( with elevated priviledges) and got "Failed to create script engine..." message
3. Add InstallShieldScriptingEngine.msm to project and rebuild project.
4. Start installation again and got "Failed to install ISKernel Files"
Now question : do you know any ways to install MSI Basic project (with InstallShield script custom actions) under nonadmin user account priviledges)?

trevrobwhite
04-03-2006, 03:12 AM
We were in such a mess with InstallScript, my company finally paid for consultancy, and we were advised to remove all the InstallScript code, we were having problems with PRODUCT_NAME being written to Add/Remove applet and support just advised to start removing all the features.

I'm now in the process of learning vbscript and converting all the InstallScript code to vbscript which is a bit of a pain but if it means the installer stops falling apart on site it will be worth it.

aedqueen
03-07-2007, 03:28 PM
I am totally new to this stuff. I am fairly computer literate, but i am just trying to get my sprint card installed on my computer and i get the same message about failed to install ISKernel Files.

Any suggestions?:confused:

This is an issue with that being the 10.0 InstallScript engine merge module being installed.

We are planning on issuing an update in the near future that will provide the new merge module that should fix this.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

BrianMavPos
08-01-2007, 11:20 PM
I know this is a cross post but is related to their problem. I will post in both.

I have version 11 of Installshield & needed to use "InstallShieldScriptingEngine.msm" to fix an SMS install of our product.
I also needed to insert a custom action for Change the DCOM identity from Interactive User to Launching user.

This file isn't available to download from your main site with the other MSM files.

I noticed that Installshield 12 no longer requires InstallShieldScriptingEngine.msm as it is included within ISSetup.dll.

Does this mean that I only need to change the DCOM identity or is that now handled correctly?

Cheers, Brian