PDA

View Full Version : Build warning -7105 on my advertised shorcuts.

craigpost
05-03-2005, 04:15 PM
I just upgraded to IS11 and now I'm getting warnings on my builds (at least I'm fairly certain these didn't show up before).

ISDEV : warning -7105: You have specified an alternate icon for EFM_English which is an advertised shortcut to a non-exe file. In this case, the Right Click Menu for the shortcut in the start menu will be incorrect. You must use a regular shortcut with an alternate icon, or use an advertised shortcut with no alternate icon; in which case the system icon for this file type will be used.

I don't see any way to specify an alternate icon. Has anyone else run into this?

Obliterator
05-09-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm encountering exactly the same error.

I have just upgrade to IS11 from 10.5.
I definitely had zero build errors and zero warnings previously.

I'm now investigating what this error actually means!

davidh
05-11-2005, 01:13 PM
This warning is new with InstallShield 11. Functionality was added to specify alternate icons for these types of files. However, this won't work with advertised shortcuts for these files so we added the warning.

However, there is a bug if you had advertised shortcuts to EXE files. This worked with InstallShield 10.5 but not with 11. So, I submitted WO#1-1AEPWT. This should only be a problem with advertised shortcuts to EXE files. Following is the workaround until we get this fixed:
1. Open the MSI directly. Create a new Icon table entry. The Name should match the 'Icon' column in the Shortcut table. For the binary column, browse to the file that you want the shortcut for.
2. Or, Do not create an advertised shortcut and this won't be an issue. That way you won't have to correct this after each build.

Obliterator
05-12-2005, 07:51 AM
In my case the shortcut is actually to a .html file.

The icon I reference for the shortcut is simply my local IExplorer.exe (icon index 1). I assumed this icon would be extracted at build time and included into the setup?

In truth I'd prefer to use the target user's associated icon for a html file. But if I leave the icon paramater blank InstallShield throws an error that the shortcut has no icon.

davidh
05-12-2005, 09:26 AM
It appears that you will always get the warning about either (a) a missing icon file, warning 6014 or (b) or the warning that the default system icon will be used, warning 7105. This is because the icon for the advertised shortcuts will never be the icon you chose unless the target is an EXE file. This is a windows installer limitation. We want to at least give a warning so users know why their icon (if they specified one) is not showing up. Maybe it would be better if we just disabled the option to specify an icon for advertised shortcuts that aren't EXE files?

tyacko
05-12-2005, 02:19 PM
There is one problem with this work-around. We provide a single-file setup executable when we deliver to our clients.

There doesn't appear to be a work-around in our case because we don't have access to the compiled msi file (because it is in the setup file).

I'd assume the priority of this issue is pretty high since it sounds like quite a few people have run into this and some of us don't have a work-around.

Obliterator
05-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Yes, it would probably better to disable the functionality for non-exe files - unless this behaviour is like to be improved upon in the future (MSI 4 for example!)

Personally, I don't like warnings I can't fix! I'm one of these pedants who goes out of their way to get zero errors and zero warnings. It satisfies our QA department! If I have a warning I have to justify its presence.

I guess I'll simply have to accept this one :(

Thanks for your help

Phil Maznyk
05-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Has anyone heard of a date for the fix? I've asked them to allow me to download version 10.5 until this is resolved :mad:

davidh
05-18-2005, 05:38 PM
At this time I do not have any official information on a fix. The only item you have immediately is the workarounds posted earlier. However, I will post as soon as I have any more information.

davidh
05-19-2005, 07:15 PM
This contains a dll that should fix this issue. The icon will now be built for advertised shortcuts to EXE files.

To install this:
1. Close InstallShield if open. Go to your InstallShield 11 system folder (by default, it is "c:\Program Files\InstallShield 11\System")
2. Backup the original ISWIBuild.dll
3. Unzip the attached ISWIBuild.dll and place it in the system folder

We will have a hotfix out later this week that will automatically do this for you.

Obliterator
05-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Perhaps you should also remove the -6014 warning if an icon is not specified for a non-exe advertised shortcut as only the system icon can be used anyhow. Ie. only generate the warning if an icon is not specified for an exe.

davidh
05-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Yes, this decision could have gone either way. Currently, we decided to leave the warning so that users understand why they do not see a custom icon in some cases. It would be confusing to some users (that are unaware of this windows installer limitation) if they did not see their custom icons showing up for advertised shortcuts to non-Exe files. We tried to improve the warning in this case though with some simple rewording.

Obliterator
05-20-2005, 12:36 PM
I see the dilemma.

But surely they wouldn't be expecting a custom icon if they hadn't specified one? And that is the only time they'd get the -6014 warning. All I'm saying its pointless to offer the warning on unsuitable types, only offer it if it actually applies.

The new -7105 warning is much clearer btw if they do specify a custom icon as it explains the limitation.

smalchi
12-30-2005, 06:19 AM
davidh wrote

This warning is new with InstallShield 11. Functionality was added to specify alternate icons for these types of files. However, this won't work with advertised shortcuts for these files so we added the warning.

I have used advertised shortcuts for .dot and .pot type files with specified icons and it worked so far.
I just upgraded from Installshield 10.5 to 11.

Is there a Way to get this back working in Installshield 11? I would really like to use advertised shortcuts with specified icons for my non-exe files.

thanks for any help.

smalchi

davidh
01-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Do you have all the latest hot fixes applied to InstallShield 11 if you check through the Update Service? I believe this problem should be fixed.

Sijmen
01-11-2006, 02:33 AM
I am currently testing InstallShield Premier 11.5, and also get this same problem.

I have a key file "documentation.chm" which is set as a key file, and I have created an advertised shortcut to this file, using icon 224 from <SystemFolder>\Shell32.dll.

This worked fine in DevStudio 9, and as I understand it, should now also work in InstallShield 11.5. However I still get the warning -7105.

Problem is QA won't let me release a product, if there are any Warnings or Errors in the build.

Please, how can I resolve this -7105 warning, and what other options do I have?

Regards,
Sijmen Grunbauer.

davidh
01-11-2006, 05:42 PM
If you believe the warning can be safely ignored, you could prove to QA that the custom icon is in fact installed.

Sijmen
01-11-2006, 06:58 PM
David,

Thats not permissable. We have a QA policy that specifies if a Warning or Error is logged in a build log, then the product cannot be released. We either have to resolve it, or prevent if from being logged. Visual Studio has a method of doing this for C\C++ applications, where you can specify specific warnings to ignore in a project's build log.

How can I prevent the warning from appearing in the build log?

Regards,
Sijmen.

davidh
01-11-2006, 07:10 PM
That is unfortunate. We do not have an option to ignore warnings. I submitted feature request# IOC-000045117 for this. For now, you will have to work around the issue by not using advertisement in this specific case, or by not using a custom icon.

Sijmen
01-11-2006, 08:01 PM
I agree, this is unfortunate.

I think an important requirement to come out of this thead, is that if InstallShield displays a Warning or Error, then it has to provide some way of resolving of suppressing it. If having a shortcut to a non-EXE file is legal in MSI, then InstallShield should allow it, as it currently does. I understand why the warning is there, but we still need some way to prevent the warning. Otherwise, at the end of our complete build cycle, we have scripts which crawl through the manny different build scripts looking for warnings and errors, and if any are found, the product gets an automatic fail.

Its unreasonable for me as a developer on a small corner of the product, to go to the build team (of a much larger application) and say "hey, my install will have a few warnings, can you please modify your scripts to ignore them".

BTW: How can I track the progress of feature request# IOC-000045117. I need to create an evaluation report for InstallShield 11.5 Premier, so that management can determine if we update all our DevStudio 9 license to InstallShield 11.5.

Regards,
Sijmen.

davidh
01-12-2006, 12:40 PM
We add issues that are fixed or feature enhancements that have issue numbers (such as the one supplied above, IOC-000045117) to the release notes. However, the release notes do not always have every customer issue that is fixed. This is something we are working on improving. You could also post to the community to have us look up an issue for you or even contact support and I'm sure that would be happy to check the status of any issue, versus you having to manually verify it.

mikelmorris
01-13-2006, 12:45 PM
I am confused as to the state of this problem. I am running with Installshield 11. The Update Service doesn't list any required updates.

Right now, I am still seeing the 7015 warning when using an advertised shortcut to a non-exe (batch file in my case). Not sure if it will help, but the ISWIBuild.dll is version 11.0.30002.0. I used the one attached by davidh, which by the way was version 11.0.30001.0. If I build with this dll the icon works.

Should a non-default icon be visible for an advertised icon to a non-exe?
Thank you.

davidh
01-25-2006, 05:45 PM
We are re-evaluating this in house with issue IOC-000045236.

Currently, this works as follows:
-If the shortcut is advertised AND the shortcut points to a non-EXE file, we give the warning
-Otherwise, we build the icon

Possible workaround (please test at your own risk, because this was only recently discovered):
In the file table, rename the FileName column to use an exe extension. Example: change 'foo.bar' to 'foo.exe'

You could also try manually creating your icon using the Direct Editor, but I've seen this workaround work successfully and you also avoid the 7105 warning.

moonstone
04-16-2006, 06:38 AM
Has this issue been resolved?

I have a shortcut to a chm file and I get the honking default icon.

There must be some way to get proper icons. I've loads of apps installed on my machine and all those with chm files have the correct icon on their shortcuts.

Is this just an InstallShield problem?

Thanks.

davidh
04-18-2006, 04:52 PM
This issue will be resolved in future versions of InstallShield. I am not aware if this is a bug\limitation in any other MSI products besides InstallShield. For now, you will have to use one of the workarounds detailed in this post. Any problems, please let us know.

Sijmen
04-18-2006, 06:05 PM
David,

This is great news. Our company has held off on purchasing the lastest versions of InstallShield (Still using DevStudio 9.0) until this issue is resolved, so we don't get any build errors or warnings.

Can you give us an estimate of when you expect the version with this fix to be released?

Sijmen

davidh
04-19-2006, 05:47 PM
All I can say at this point is that it will be in our next release, whenever that is. I don't think there is an official release date at this point. However, you can check out the beta at the following link:
http://community.installshield.com/announcement.php?f=192

TsungH
04-19-2006, 11:06 PM
See if this (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=155514&highlight=iconindex) and that (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=146427&highlight=iconindex) helps in any way.

idblew
04-20-2006, 02:45 AM
Surely this should be made a hotfix available for current releases. :confused:

I shelled out for v11 last year and don't think I should have to dip into my pocket again only a year or so later just to get an issue fixed. While a product is still supported, issues like this should be rectified through patches NOT by making the consumer pay out for a new release! :mad:

Sijmen
04-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Well stated.

We won't be buying InstallShield until we can confirm this issue has been fixed.

Sijmen.

spartacus
04-24-2006, 09:26 AM
If the ISWIBuild.dll from AdminStudio 6 (it's version is 10.50.125.0 on my machine) is substituted for the one that installs with AdminStudio 7.5 then I have found that builds appear to work without the 7105 warning.

My advertised shortcuts for non-exe files with custom icons then appear to work - as they used to do with AdminStudio 6.

Probably not supported though ..... :rolleyes:

Spartacus

Colbey
05-11-2006, 08:25 AM
I have recently encountered this bug in IS and read this thread with interest. I have upgraded from IS9 to 11.5, my project has been converted and is now being affected by this. I am creating installs for Windows Installer version 2.0 which allows icons to be associated with non exe advertised shortcuts, as far as I know this has not been removed in subsequent releases of Windows Installer.

The problem seems to be that IS does not include the icon entry for non exe advertised shortcuts in the icon table. I can fix the compiled msi by directly editing it in orca and adding the icon, unfortunately, as our projects are built nightly this is not an acceptable solution.

The only way I have found to avoid this bug in IS is to change my non exe shortcuts to not be advertised, this is far from desirable.

Having recently purchased several licenses for IS 11.5 we will not be able to upgrade to get a fix for this bug in the near future, when can we expect to see a hot fix for this?

davidh
05-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Do the workarounds I posted from 1/25 not work for you? I think they both should be one-time fixes in your ism so your nightly builds would not require your manual workaround anymore...if these workarounds work:)

Colbey
05-12-2006, 05:29 AM
Yes, I have tried both and they did not help.

I generally edit stuff with the direct editor anyway, but I’ve tried creating a icon though that and associating the shortcut with it, the icon still gets removed when the project is built. I assume because the compiler does not care how the entries were created, but recognises the association between the shortcut and icon and removes the icon.

I tried renaming the files extension to .exe and this stops IS from dropping the icon, but it also makes the file and shortcut unusable once its installed (it’s a chm), so not a practical fix.

TsungH
05-12-2006, 08:12 PM
How about the references I made? Do they not help?

Colbey
05-15-2006, 04:55 AM
How about the references I made? Do they not help?
Unfortunately no they did not.

davidh
05-15-2006, 12:17 PM
There are no plans of a hot fix at this time. I attached an 11.5 version of ISWIBuild.dll that should resolve this issue. Backup\replace the ISWIBuild.dll on your system to fix this issue. The original file is located in the 11.5 system folder (default folder: C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS11.5\System).

WARNING: this is an 'unofficial' version of this file, meaning that it has not gone through any formal testing. The main purpose is to fix this advertised shortcut icon issue. Please make sure it works in your case, and please report any unexpected issues here.

idblew
05-16-2006, 02:37 AM
What about IS11? Would this DLL work for us? If not, why should I have to pay to upgrade to the latest release just to correct this?

:(

Colbey
05-16-2006, 06:17 AM
I attached an 11.5 version of ISWIBuild.dll that should resolve this issue.
Thanks, I’ve built my project with both IS and the standalone builder and it’s fixed the problem.

I will monitor the produced msi’s and let you know about any unexpected changes.

Helgorian
02-07-2008, 02:36 PM
I wonder if this issue is fixed in InstallShield 2008?! Can anyone confirm this?

I'm currently playing round-robin once more with my IS 11 through all those related ISDEV warnings 6014 or 7105 (accompanied by ICE 03) for advertised or the good old ICE 43 and 57 errors for non-advertised .pdf-shortcuts. The latter ones let me investigating this matter in the first place, but ignoring them still seems to be the best solution (Vista Logo -- what the heck...) -- at least both shortcuts and displayed icons work instantly out of the box and not e.g. only after a user having used the shortcut once!
I even can get rid of ICE43 and 57 without advertising -- namely by associating the shortcut with completely another component having a HKCU key path instead of the natively belonging component installing the .pdf --, but what an ugly hack shall this be please?

Just to answer idblew's question: No, for my IS 11 that zipped 11.5-ISWIBuild.dll did not work at all, it resulted in an internal build error.

davidh
02-07-2008, 03:28 PM
It is no longer an issue with 2008.

xxMBxx
10-13-2009, 11:45 AM
not sure by IS 2008, tested, Cannot add icon for advertised component with .bat file as keyfile
any suggestion?

Helgorian
10-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Sorry, xxMBxx, none that you would like to hear. I just can confirm the issue was gone with IS 2009. ;)