PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to InstallShield 11

bobcorrigan
05-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Welcome to InstallShield 11!

On behalf of the InstallShield team at Macrovision, it is my pleasure to announce the general availability of InstallShield 11 Professional and Premier Editions, and the opening of this new community for the discussion of Windows installation projects created with InstallShield 11.

InstallShield 11 is a paid upgrade from previous versions of InstallShield, including InstallShield 10.5, InstallShield X, DevStudio, Multi-Platform, Professional and Developer.

This new release has many new and enhanced capabilities that will enable software publishers to stay current with today’s technologies and industry standards to author reliable Windows Installer (MSI), InstallScript™, and cross-platform installations, including:

MSI 3.1 Support (Windows)

You can use the functionality found in Microsoft’s recent Windows Installer (MSI) 3.1 release to simplify your patch deployment. InstallShield 11 includes support for the two new patch-related properties available with MSI 3.1: MinorUpdateTargetRTM and OptimizedInstallMode.

Try and Buy Functionality (Windows)

InstallShield’s Try and Buy functionality enables your end users to not only try, but also buy your software in a very simple manner. It works with the new InstallShield Activation Service to provide a seamless activation experience and ensure that your software has been legitimately licensed.

InstallShield Activation Service (Windows)

Your company already trusts and uses InstallShield. Now you can use this industry-leading solution for more than just authoring installations. Increase revenue, reduce piracy, and grow market share with the new InstallShield Activation Service. (Sold separately)

Oracle Database Support (Windows)

Only InstallShield comes with complete support for Oracle, enabling you to easily connect to Oracle database servers and run SQL Scripts as part of your installation. Configure any SQL script, regardless of the target database server, from a single view in the integrated design environment, create setups with SQL scripts that can be installed to any database server, and create SQL Scripts that will only run on a specific vendor’s database server.

IIS 6.0 Support (Windows)

InstallShield is the ultimate solution for deploying Web services with support for Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) version 6. InstallShield’s support for IIS has been totally redesigned for greater ease of use. The top three enhancements for IIS 6 are support for application pools, Web Service Extensions, and the new IIS 6 properties.

Over 20 InstallScript Enhancements, Including 64-Bit Support (Windows)

In addition to Windows Installer (MSI) installations, InstallScript installations can now also install and register 64-bit files. Interaction with 64-bit system folders and the 64-bit registry are fully supported as well. This new functionality is supported for both Intel and AMD 64-bit platforms.

RPM Support (Universal)

InstallShield comes with complete support for RPM, enabling you to create professional-grade installations for the Linux platform, or any platform that has RPM installed.

Other featured enhancements include:

1. Simplify the process of adding device drivers to your MSI or InstallScript MSI project with full support for the new Driver Install Frameworks for Applications (DIFx) 1.1.

2. New objects and merge modules have been added to the Live Redistributable Gallery, making it extremely easy to add support for popular technologies such as DirectX, Crystal Reports, and WMI in your project.

3. Easily deploy an installation that can be condensed by your customers or System Administrators to suit their needs with the new Installation Condenser Functionality for Universal installations.

4. The new Build Automation Layer enables you to customize your builds without having to go through the Universal interface. This capability will enhance routine build processes and will be especially useful in cases where many projects or many project versions.

5. Assembly enhancements for Universal projects. The Collaboration Design and Assemblies functionality has been enhanced to include the ability for each installation on the target machine to have a dedicated add/remove program entry.

These represent only a few of the many new capabilities of this new release. To learn more about InstallShield 11, visit the InstallShield website at
http://www.installshield.com

I look forward to your questions and feedback in the Community, and to working with you to make our products the best they can be.

Best regards,

Bob Corrigan
InstallShield Product Manager
Macrovision

Jennifer Watson
05-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Does this mean there will be an update to AdminStudio coming?

ggreig
05-05-2005, 07:46 AM
In line with best practices, I work in an account with User-level privileges only. Why does the InstallShield 11 IDE fail to run under these conditions?

The error message reads as follows, despite the fact that it has been previously run in an account with Administrator privileges:

---------------------------
InstallShield
InstallShield has not been initialized. InstallShield must be run at least once by a user with Administrator or Power User privileges.
OK

QuickFixPro
05-23-2005, 08:13 AM
There was never Service Pack introduced to fix most ugly bugs in 10.5.
Now we are forced to pay for 11. :mad:

Does anyone knows where you can check if bugs are being fixed? :confused:

There were feature advertised in 10.5 that don't work and nobody from InstallShield cares.

I thought that if people lured you in buying something by promises of "XML Support" or "Local Repositories" would have some common decency to appologies and offer all the possible fixes when these promises are broken...

But NO -- they want us to pay again, even I don't see information if any of old bugs are fixed. :eek:

ggreig
05-23-2005, 08:19 AM
To give InstallShield tech. support their due, I did get a fix this time, involving a registry hack; but it's still a pretty high profile bug to have encountered - and the first tech. support person I dealt with tried to tell me that it was by design!

QuickFixPro
05-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Thanks, Greg! :)

I didn't know they supplied some fixes. After you mentioned it I've done some searching and found XML hotfix.

At least something...

bobcorrigan
05-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Two things:

1. Check the hotfix KBs - we posted two hotfixes for 10.5 a number of weeks ago to address issues with 10.5's XML support.

2. If you have a maintenance plan, you get all the releases and access to tech support.

Feel free to communicate with me directly about other issues.

bob

bcorrigan@macrovision.com

QuickFixPro
05-23-2005, 09:11 AM
I don't see how the fact of having or not having a maitenance plan affects the fact that the features advertized don't work properly.

Hotfixes should be either distributed or users should be notified of their existance.

You are able to track us down to push for version 11, weren't you? Why not to notify about Hotfixes? As I can see is has a timestamp of 4/6/2005.

How do you think all the frustrated users feeling?

slowhand
06-30-2005, 07:24 AM
@QuickFixPro

I totally agree. IS 10.5 is so buggy. Now I should pay for IS 11.0 to get things work, which did not work correctly in 10.5 ? Think of the XML functionality of 10.5! I virtually lost days of work trying to get this 'feature' work, and hotfixes came fare too late for me!
In fact our management is considering switching to Wise, because setup developers at our company are so frustrated with IS 10.5 and management is not willing to pay for 11.0!

BTW: AS far as i learned Wise is not that better :D

bobcorrigan
06-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Make sure to get the 10.5 XML hotfixes before you give up... if you're still struggling, drop me an email at bcorrigan@macrovision.com

Thanks,

bob

QuickFixPro
06-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Hotfixes help a lot. It looks like most of XML issues were fixed.

Well, saving XML System Search in Local Repository still is not working. Saving IS working, using the saved search is NOT.

bobcorrigan
06-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Damn. We're on it. Thanks for the update.

bob

slowhand
07-01-2005, 04:55 AM
Make sure to get the 10.5 XML hotfixes before you give up
Thanks for the offer, but I have manually implemented functions with Installscript to replace strings in files or changing values in XML files. (i did this befor most of the XML hotfixes poped up). This cost me a lot of time, but i made it work. So i will not use the 'XML' feature for my existing projects.

But i think you will agree that this is quite frustrating for a user when one has to do such things manually while IS praises the new XML feature ;)

CProefrock
07-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Is there a forum for addressing InstallShield installation / execution issues?

I'm experiencing the same problem as GGRIEG (see quote below) and I've been told by tech support that I need to PAY MORE $ to get my tool installed and running? :confused:

In line with best practices, I work in an account with User-level privileges only. Why does the InstallShield 11 IDE fail to run under these conditions?

The error message reads as follows, despite the fact that it has been previously run in an account with Administrator privileges:

InstallShield
InstallShield has not been initialized. InstallShield must be run at least once by a user with Administrator or Power User privileges.
OK

patman54
08-05-2005, 09:53 AM
I have the same concern as CProefrocK and GGRIEG. This is a very serious issue and a significant change from the behavior of prior versions.

It took me several hours over 2 days to finally discover this mentioned in the evaluators guide and in the release notes. This change in behavior wasn't emphasized in any way.

Neither document specified whether this is required for installing it or for users to launch it.

Has anyone addressed these 2 posts?

Is there any workaround for giving administrative rights to every developer who accesses the server I am responsible for managing? That's over 20 people in our organization and a risk I would prefer to avoid.

Does an installation guide for InstallShield even exist?

If there is a more appropriate forum in which to post this issue, please let me know.

Is there a forum for addressing InstallShield installation / execution issues?

I'm experiencing the same problem as GGRIEG (see quote below) and I've been told by tech support that I need to PAY MORE $ to get my tool installed and running? :confused:

bobcorrigan
08-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Post your installation/execution issues with IS 11 here - and please, open cases with tech support.

On another note, we've got some additional PM bandwidth specifically for InstallShield Windows - my colleague Sonja Hickey (shickey@macrovision.com) is specifically responsible for our Windows installation tools. I've gotten InstallShield Universal back in addition to the InstallAnywhere tools we got from Zero G (and some new cool stuff coming out in November).

Bottom line - by all means - if you've got something funky happening, let us know.

bob

AnnikaL
11-14-2005, 05:07 AM
Where do you write if you want people from InstallShield to answer?
They seem to not answer my question for some reason.

bobcorrigan
11-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Hey, that hurts - I'm an InstallShield guy.

As a rule, if you have a support issue, you should call support. Other stuff, you can bring here.

What's on your mind?

bob

ggreig
12-09-2005, 09:58 AM
This bug is still present in 11.5:

InstallShield
OK

jasoncd
01-19-2006, 11:52 AM
What's on your mind?
bob

That we want bug fixes. My IS 11 is dated 4/2005, and checking for updates reveals no service packs, despite many bugs reported here. When we purchased ISWI version 1 and 2, there were a few maintenance releases to fix problems. We purchased 11 assuming (wrongly), that the same would happen. We went with IS because we were already familiar with the software and the IS people in the newsgroups were very responsive to our needs in the past. I have to say, I have no incentive to stay with IS anymore.

That's what's on my mind. It's been brought up several times by other people, but I'm feeling more frustrated than usual today. :rolleyes:

jscherrer
06-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Ok...this is nice and all that you are getting your point across about support - but you all obviously got the tool running. Could somebody please post the solution to this issue? I have searched the KB, Community, Web, and I still haven't found a solution, and I'd REALLY like to start using the product to get the install created for our software before our delivery deadline is reached.

thanks,

-jon

jscherrer
06-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Ok...well, I found a workaround - I don't know if it's correct -but so that others have something to work from:

I had the SA give me admin priviledges for my account.
I logged back on and started InstallShield - it "initialized"
I logged off.
I had the SA take away the admin priviledges for my account.
I logged back on and started InstallShield---without any problems.

-jon

ggreig
06-14-2006, 03:21 AM
Ok...this is nice and all that you are getting your point across about support - but you all obviously got the tool running. Could somebody please post the solution to this issue? I have searched the KB, Community, Web, and I still haven't found a solution, and I'd REALLY like to start using the product to get the install created for our software before our delivery deadline is reached.

thanks,

-jon

This bug is still present in version 12.

For the workaround, here's one of the relevant entries (http://pluralsight.com/wiki/default.aspx/Keith/InstallShield12HOS.html) in Keith Brown's Hall of Shame (http://pluralsight.com/wiki/default.aspx/Keith/HallOfShame.html) for applications that break when run as non-admin.