PDA

View Full Version : Help - Buttons/Actions Freeze after Launch Associated App.

tsgroup
04-20-2005, 04:32 PM
I've created a simple CD Browser to distribute PDF files in DemoShield 8. Everything works fine except my button actions behave badly after launching an application.

When you move over a button a brief description is displayed in a window to the right. I use Show and Hide actions to perform this function.

This action works great until you press a button to Launch Associated Application (in this case it's Notepad or Acrobat) or Launch Application (for Windows Explorer to browse the CD root). If you return to the CD Browser after closing an application or while the application is still open, the buttons in the CD Browser are frozen in the pressed or on state. When you move over a button other than the one you pressed last the description text displays over the last button description text until you move your mouse over the lasted pressed button to reset it.

The buttons are custom Quick Buttons Styles and the Show/Hide actions are performed in the Moves Mouse On object and Moves Mouse Off object.

Is there some way to reset the scene when the player has focus after an application launches?

Thanks for any insight into this problem,

Lee

EthanBedwyr
04-21-2005, 08:39 AM
I think if you add addtional actions to the left-clicks mouse up event, you can solve this. After the Lanch Associated Application action or the Launch Application action, add three actions to:
hide the text associated with the current button
show the screen's initial text
and set the button back to its initial state.

In those cases where you use Launch Application, you may also want to clear the Wait for the application to end? check box in the Launch Applicaition settings.

Hope this helps. :)

tsgroup
04-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks Ethan! This works great on the Launch Application action, but the Launch Associated Applications action still freezes up the buttons and contents even though I repeat the actions in the Left Mouse Clicks up.

Any other suggestions to reset/refresh the screen after the application launches under a Launch Associated Applications action? :confused:

Thanks for your help, :)

Lee

EthanBedwyr
04-21-2005, 07:51 PM
You may have already tried this variation, but if not I suppose you could set the actions to hide the button's text and return the button to its default state and show the initial text before the launch associated application (still all in the same Left Mouse Clicks Up event).

The user might notice a flicker before the ap launches, but it should hopefully be fast enough not to be too much of a problem.

If that doesn't work I'm not sure what the problem is. I'd offer to look at your demo for you but I haven't upgraded to DS8 and I don't plan to. :(

Hope this helps, though. :)