PDA

View Full Version : How to launch the MSI package directly ?

yyukio
04-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Hi,

I have an InstallScript MSI project. I want to run the MSI package directly without launching the setup.exe. But each time I have this error

This installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe

How can I get around it ??

Thanks

Nate Bloyd
04-07-2005, 05:56 PM
See if these search results (http://community.installshield.com/search.php?searchid=1181) help you out...

Happy Days
04-08-2005, 04:47 AM
Nate:
On clicking the link of your search results, I get the following message:

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms"

Please can you write the search criteria itself.

Thanks.

Nate Bloyd
04-08-2005, 07:31 AM
That is strange... I know I tested the link after I copied it. They must reorg the search ID's or something. Hopefully you get this link prior to the next shuffle!
What I did is copied the phrase "This installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe
" and copied it to the search window, and I got these results. (http://community.installshield.com/search.php?searchid=365)

Happy Days
04-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Thanks Nate. The search results work this time. Not sure of the original problem :p

yyukio
04-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the replies.

According to what "NewsArchive" said and I quote here:

======================================================
In order to ensure that Windows Installer is installed on a
target system, InstallShield is defaulted to create a Setup.exe for your
application, which installs Windows Installer if it is not present or
upgrades if an older version is present.
======================================================

does that mean that I don't have Windows Installer on my machine, that is why I can't simply launch the MSI package directly (or at the command line using msiexec.exe -i ...)? That is not the case here, since I have downloaded some *.msi from Microsoft download site and installed them, by a simple click, without problem.

I suspect that I need to set some kinds of Build settings to enable the MSI package to be a standalone. But I have spent quite a long time searching on the net and couldn't find any. :mad:

Does anyone have any idea, please ? ;)

Happy Days
04-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Yyukio:
The quote referred by you implies that setup.exe will first install windows installer on the target machine followed by running the package. On some machines, where no windows installer is present (or version 1.1 is present), running the msi directly will fail. If you create setup.exe, it will make sure first to install the proper windows installer engine and then run the actual setup.

Hope this will clear the use of setup.exe !

yyukio
04-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks Uttam Mathur, Happy Days.

Do you know how I can build just a MSI package without the Setup.exe so that I can run it directly?

I'm using InstallShield DevStudio Version 9.0 with Service Pack 1, and my project is an InstallScript MSI project. I have tried the different settings offered in the Release Wizard, but in vain.

Or maybe I should first ask the question whether it is feasible to do so ... :confused:

Pittyman
04-08-2005, 10:40 AM
If I remember correctly ( and I sometimes don't, so others should feel free to correct me) I think any Installscript or Installscript MSI projects require the setup.exe to load the Installscript engine and MSI engine.

I don't think it is possible to use a standalone .msi package when you are using Installscript.

yyukio
04-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Hi Pittyman,

You are absolutely correct.

In Media->Releases->Setup Launcher, there is this mention:

====================================================
InstallScript MSI setup projects require Setup.exe because Setup.exe initiates the external user interface for Window Installer.
====================================================

So I need to rewrite the installation with MSI ?? Oh no! :mad:

Now I'm in big trouble ... not only I'm a beginner in InstallShield, I know nothing about MSI. Any useful links for a quick start to suggest ??

Thanks.

Dileep M. Kumar
04-08-2005, 09:56 PM
If I remember correctly ( and I sometimes don't, so others should feel free to correct me) I think any Installscript or Installscript MSI projects require the setup.exe to load the Installscript engine and MSI engine.

I don't think it is possible to use a standalone .msi package when you are using Installscript.

Its possible. You can add installscript engine as a re-distributable. It worked fine for me.

Joe Marathon
05-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't know if this helps, but I landed on this thread searching for my question. I had an installation executable setup.exe that would not install properly on my dual-boot of win2k3 on the same partition and drive as a winxp installation. Because they are in different folders on the C:\ (i.e. C:\WINNT vs. C:\WINDOWS) the installer was hard coded for the WINDOWS folder name and would always fail.

Luckily, the core *.msi would be installed along with the guid in the windows root\downloaded installations\guid folder. I wanted to extract this package and manually install. My original attempt was to replicate the installation from the windows XP instance, but that was more difficult.

'msiexec.exe /a <*.msi file>' did not work for me. The error message was, "MSI cannot be ran directly. Setup.exe must be used." After inspecting the msiexec.exe command line options, I tried "no graphical user interface mode" or "/qn":

'msiexec.exe /qn /a <*.msi file> TARGETDIR=<directory to extract to>' and this worked beautifully. Next I simply copied the appropriate hierarchy of files to the appropriate destination, which was obvious (i.e. TARGETDIR\windows\system32 would go to C:\windows\system32, etc.). But the key was getting the c:\windows\inf content in place.

Because this was a hardware installation, a reboot triggered the install, and the appropriate installation package (the one manually extracted above) was chosen and installed.

If I had to run the installation manually, I would right click on the C:\windows\inf...*.inf file copied over from above, and click install. I had to do this on the dual boot for the C:\WINNT\INF\ie.inf file because a windows xp IE 7 update desynchronized the versions the two dual boot OSs (winxp and win2k3) instances believed to be installed. I didn't realize the Program Files folder being common to both operating systems would be a headache before I decided to do this.

If some files are missing, use this frankenstein method to your advantage by searching your drive for the missing file names and pointing microsoft installer to those locations when prompted.

... Gotta love a hack. Good luck!

Joe