PDA

View Full Version : 7.5 will not open exe file

Den7611
04-03-2005, 08:59 AM
I upgraded from 7.0 to 7.5 a while ago and had this problem before but never found an answer.

I compiled two CD browser demos. Both are on one CD. An opening demo with a link to open the second demo.

The link is supposed to open the second demo but it doesn't work. I did try all of the suggestions posted before and just gave up on it. But I wanted to upgrade and tried it again. I really need to get this resolved because I use demo now from the 7.5 and it is imperative that I can use 7.5 for the CD upgrade.

I tried several other exe files not demoshield related and it worked fine.

I created two entirely new demos and it still didn't work.

It worked fine on all the previous versions I have used but I can't get it to work with 7.5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

:(

Chandy Navarata
04-03-2005, 10:16 PM
I am attaching a couple demos that were created in 7.5 that launch one demo from the other and vice versa. You will need to extract all the files to some folder on your machine and double click on demo32.exe. This will launch demo.dbd. Both demos have a Launch Demo action on a bitmap button object. Let me know if this works.

Regards,

Den7611
04-04-2005, 08:13 AM
The problem is not with opening dbd files. It's opening exe files compiled from the CD browser wizard.

I have attached 2 demos set up similar to my original stuff.

Create a directory called C:demo1 and a sub directory called demo2

C:demo1/demo2

Extract zip files from demo1 into the directory C:demo1

Extract zip files from demo2 into the directory C:demo1\demo2

To start click on start.exe in the demo1 directory. the button in this demo should open the second demo r22.exe file in directory demo2 but it doesn't work.

If I use any other .exe file not associated with demoshield it would work fine. If you change the start R22 button to open any other exe file on you system it will work fine.

Let me know how you make out. Please note this worked fine with prior versions.

Chandy Navarata
04-04-2005, 12:21 PM
As you wish to launch another demo I would suggest using the Launch Demo action to do so. Extract the files from the attached zip to some folder on your hard drive and then run demo1\start.exe. Now click on the button to launch the other demo.

A couple other things... you can use the <path> token to provide a relative location to the demo that you wish to launch. That way you wont need to hard code the full path to the demo. Secondly since you are launching another demo you have the option to return the first demo from the second one by using the Stop Demo action. Terminate DemoShield action will terminate all running demos.

Hope this helps.

Den7611
04-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Maybe I need to explain what I need to do. I created a demo program for helicopter pilots. That would be (demo2). It runs from a CD-ROM and not placed on the user’s computer. This file (program) is copyright protected by another program and the user needs a code number to open it. It needs to be protected from people trying to make copies of the CD. I have tried several different ways to make this work but none were as efficient as the current set up not to mention exposing my work to copyright infringement problems.

Let me put it another way. I spent about 300 hours putting this together and they are being sold to a distributor (who has been selling them for the past 4 or 5 years) who is not happy that he can’t restock due to this problem. I spent another 40 hours upgrading this program using version 7.5 and if I can’t get it to work I am going to be really upset :mad: if I have to re-create it using another program.

The initial demo is for registration and instructions on how to secure the code number to proceed to demo2. Demo2 has to be on it's own due to copyright protection and can't be used with demo1 so using the launch demo is out of the question.

Demo1 is only the opening screen and is closed once the program (demo2) is opened. There is no need to return to that screen.

The problem isn’t tokens or how it is set up because I have been using demoshield since version 5 maybe earlier and up until now I have not had any problems.

This needs to work from a CD-ROM and the problem appears to be internal with version 7.5. In order for me to correct this I will have to find another program :mad: to use and I don’t feel I should have to spend that kind of money :mad: and learn another program since it worked fine up until version 7.5.

Please contact someone that can correct this problem. If you tried the zip files I sent you then you should have seen that it doesn’t open any demoshield file compiled as an “.exe” file with the wizard. However if you tried it with any other “.exe” file on your computer it will work fine. It does not work with a demoshield “.exe” file

You can see a demo of my work at this location:http://www.dmacsolutions.com/Preview/preview.htm

Chandy Navarata
04-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Unfortunately the solution you picked will not work as the CD launcher program (called start.exe in demo1 and r22.exe in demo2) will continue to run the demo only if another DemoShield demo is not already running. In your case demo1 is already running so demo2 will never get kicked off.

Based on your description, it appears that you dont wish to continue playing demo1 after demo2 is kicked off. If thats the case then you can add a Stop Demo action right before the Launch Application action in demo1. This will stop demo1 and start off demo2 via r22.exe.

Hope this helps.

Den7611
04-05-2005, 04:41 PM
That is correct however using 7.5 version it worn't work. I have it set up correctly. The reason I didn't have it set up that way on the demo I sent you was to show you it wouldn't open.

I have changed it and it is attached with demo1 terminating and demo2 still won't start.

Again the problem is with version 7.5

I have been selling these CD's for several years and they worked fine. The problem is not how I set them up it's a glitch with version 7.5

I need someone to correct the with problem with this version of demoshield. It won't open an .exe file created with the demoshield wizard.

It will open any other .exe file as long as it was not compiled with demoshiled wizard.

I placed another button to open notpad.exe which is also an .exe file and that works fine.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time but I have been doing this stuff along time and I know it's not a problem in the way it is set up. I went through all that when I first starting using demoshiled.

You need to advise the Tech people of this problem because I am stuck here I can't undo all the work I just did. I don't have another 40 hours to redo this on version 7.0 which worked fine. The file is 45,800kb It's a big file with alot of work that went into it.

If I knew version 8.0 would work I might consider upgrading to that one but I don't have the money to do that right now and I'm loosing sales because of this.

Please try and get me some assistance. :(

EthanBedwyr
04-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Maybe I'm oversimplifying here, but it seems to me that you could accomplish your goals using a launch application action in demo 1.

Like this:

Launch Application --> <path>demo32.exe<path>
Set Current Working Directory? No
Application Command Line: -vs1<Global.String1(Global)> <path>demo2.dbd<path>
Wait for Application to End? No
Message to display if application not found: None

Now you don't want your demo2.dbd to work if the correct code isn't passed to it. The -vs<Global.String1(Global)> command line parameter passes the contents of Global String Variable 1 to the new demo you're launching (i.e., demo2.dbd).

So you place a simple event at the very start of demo2.dbd that checks Global String variable 1; if the code is correct, off it goes. If not, they get a screen saying "tough luck, you don't have the right code".

Using Launch Application will work to launch another demo in DemoShield 7.5; I do it all the time. I have two menu dbd files that each launch about 50 different other DBDs when the user chooses which one they want.

Granted, I don't know you're working the whole code thing. It may take some doing, or may even not be possible, to succesfully test for the "right" code in demo2.dbd (e.g., if it's a different code for each user).

And of course, all this assumes that there's no other reason why you want to run demo2 as an EXE rather than a simple DBD. But maybe this'll help you try another approach without wasting a lot of time or effort. :) Let me know what you think. I may be able to conjur up some way of testing that code even if there are going to be lots of possible correct values, but I'd have to think about it (no promises).

Den7611
04-08-2005, 07:50 PM
I appreciate your suggestion; however there is a registration process the user must complete prior to having access to demo2.

Each individual CD is locked to the users system hence preventing copies being made. In addition they secure the code via the internet while registering. So each CD has it’s own code number derived from the users system.

In your suggestion it appears there would be one number that would open up demo2. Once that number is know what is there to prevent this individual from making copies and giving them out?

These are being sold to student pilots and it's too risky to try and distribute these with little protection. I don’t have a large market so I need to do what I can to protect them the best I can. If there was a way to protect the .dbd file with the same type of protection I wouldn’t have a problem doing it but it appears the user could still make copies. The current protection is very difficult to get around since each CD is locked to the original users system and if copied it won’t run until it’s unlocked from the original system. Each CD is logged on my system and duplicates are flagged. I have had several try and use copies but the protection has prevented them from securing codes.

As I noted it appears the problem is in how 7.5 compiles the .exe file. For what ever reason if it's compiled in 7.5 it can't be launched by another demo.dbd file. Worked fine with prior versions. Don’t know what the heck they did to 7.5. I have tried to get help with this problem before and I must be the only one using this process because they must not have had that many complaints since nobody has a way to correct this problem.

I don't know if you were able to try the zip files that were attached to my last message but again for what ever reason it won't open the second .exe file but will open any other .exe file on the computer as long as it is not related to demoshield.

Thanks again for your help. Looks like I will have to re-do this entire thing with some other program since these people don't have any answers. Be the last time I will purchase any of thier products (not that they care).

EthanBedwyr
04-08-2005, 08:48 PM
There might yet be a way... :) I gather that the access code is already located on the user's hard disk before they ever get this CD, is that right (e.g., they have a previous version of the same proudct perhaps)?

Mmm... maybe it's too much work after all, but if that code is or could be stored as a registry entry, DemoShield could check that. Likewise, if it's stored in a text file in a known location on the hard disk, DemoShield could check that.

Regardless of where the code comes from, the user need never see it; all the testing could be done silently.

Maybe I'm telling you what you already know, if so I apologize. :)

I did try your zip files, by the way, and got the same results you mentioned. However I didn't open the DBD and take a look or anything like that.

I'll be the first to say I've had to deal with an enormous amount of bugs--only some of which had workarounds, and these often almost as bad as the bugs themselves--with DemoShield. And I don't know the complete details of your situation, but I don't think I'd give up on DemoShield just yet.

Den7611
04-09-2005, 12:38 PM
Actually the code is calculated using the users system’s bios and some other stuff and when they register there are 2 codes they need to provide and that is calculated with the program I have which provides the unlocking code. Not exactly sure how it works it’s way over my head.

I wouldn’t know where to start if I had to create some type program within demoshield to protect these CD’s. Demoshield is good however I did have someone break into the dbd file even though it was password protected. I don’t think too many people would have that type of knowledge. It’s making copies of the CD and passing them around I am worried about. As noted not a large market out there. The actual dbd file doesn’t have the protection because it’s not executable. The .exe file to open the dbd file is protected. I needed this to run from the CD.

I’m not sure if compiling the entire demo as an executable which loads onto the users hard drive would work because I don’t know if it stays resident or if they could just copy those files after they are on the hard drive. Not to mention that it would be extremely large because there are videos that are not in the dbd file because of the size. Ths file would be really big and take some time to load onto someone’s system and I don’t think they would want to load this each time they use it.

I don’t know enough to set this up so they would need the CD to be in the tray before it would work either and even that can be easily compromised without spending a ton of money on the program to protect the work.

I appreciate your assistance and there is no need to apologize you seem to know more about the problem I having than most.

The dbd file I attached is very simple and if you want to see how I set it up check it out. The difference is the path. On my CD’s the path goes to <CD>/root/r22/r22.exe<CD> or something like that and up until now it worked fine. Don’t want to give up on demoshield but time is running out and I need to do something soon. I have several projects pending and if I can’t get this worked out I’m either going to loose those opportunities or have to use a program I can rely on.

I haven’t touched this project for a couple of years totally forgot about the problem with 7.5. It had been working from 7.0. I recently had to update it using 7.5 and spent a lot of time on it . Since I only do this part time I don’t have a lot of time to spend on it. But I do have customers who are looking for the updated version plus some new customers who are waiting to purchase a CD.

Maybe it’s my system that is causing the problem. If you have 7.5 try putting 2 demos together compiling them as CD browser files. Try opening the second one from the first and see what happens.

Thanks again for your help

Den7611
04-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Using another program to create an autorun file I can get this to work. Just more money out of my pocket to do it but nothing new there is always some stupid glitch. :rolleyes:

Anyway thank those of you that tried to help :)