PDA

View Full Version : Localization and Launch Associated Application

Tim Mayert
03-23-2005, 12:50 PM
We are localizating our CD Browser and so far things seem to be working, but I just needed to know about the Launch Associated Application action.

We are launching Warranty and User's Guides for each language. I have placed the files into the correct 3-letter subfolder, but how do you set up the action to launch the correct one according to language?

Under the Settings there is File and then Value. At the moment the value is the location where the English one is located. What do I change this value to be so that it will launch the correct language file?

Thanks,

Chandy Navarata
03-24-2005, 01:14 PM
You will need to use the language token to identify the folder name where the file exists such as:

<Path><Global.Language>\mydoc.pdf<Path>

assuming the directory structure is like this:

- Bin <folder>
- demo32.exe
- demo.dbd
- ENU <folder>
- mydoc.pdf
- FRA <folder>
- mydoc.pdf
etc

Regards,

Tim Mayert
03-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. Using <Global.Language> worked.

I now have another problem. We support 21 languages and we placed all the text into our one .txt file. I made sure the file was a Unicode txt file and when I run the demo none of the text shows up. So I tested with making the file a simply txt file and then it worked for all single byte languages, but for languages like Japanese and other double byte languages the text is all screwed up.

How do we get it so that the text for all languages shows up correctly???

Thanks,

Chandy Navarata
03-28-2005, 12:59 AM
Can you post a copy of your demo along with the language file? It would help if you can send the translations in 2 different files - one with the single byte languages and the other with the double byte languages.

Regards,

Tim Mayert
03-28-2005, 08:39 AM
Okay here are the files for our CD Browser.

I have the main project file, the Unicode .txt file and a zipped up media folder that contains the project with the normal .txt file.

Let me know if you find anything so that I can get the Unicode .txt file to work.

Thanks,

Chandy Navarata
03-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Tim,

Did the double byte language translations work when you saved the file as unicode? If so, you have the option of saving the translations in their separate files i.e., create non-unicode files for the single byte languages and unicode files for the double byte languages and then copy them in the appropriate language folders. The DemoShield Player will pick the right TXT from the folder.

Regards,

Tim Mayert
04-04-2005, 01:45 PM
No when I had the whole .txt file as unicode it would not work, even the English text did no show up. It was like the file was not even loaded.

Well if you seperate out the double-byte and single byte languages does this mean that we will have to have 1 file for each language that is supported and if so are the names of the files the same as the language type.

i.e.
ENU.txt
CHS.txt
CHT.txt
etc

Or can all the single-byte languages exist in one file and all double-byte exist in a different file? What would the files be called so that they are read properly for each language type?

Thanks,

Chandy Navarata
04-04-2005, 02:21 PM
The file names would all be the same i.e., smartboard9.txt but each stored in a folder whose name matches the 3-letter language code like:

- demo32.exe
- smartboard9.dbd
- ENU <folder>
- smartboard9.txt <has only the english translations>
- FRA <folder>
- smartboard9.txt <has only the french translations>
- JPN <folder>
- smartboard9.txt <has only the japanese translations>

Tim Mayert
04-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Okay I'll give it a shot and let you know if it works.

Thanks,

Tim Mayert
04-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Well that did not work either. I have attached two bitmaps of the folder structure that I am using. Only if I place the SMARTBoard9.txt file into the same folder as the SMARTBoard9.dbd file will it work. But again not with Unicode txt files.

What I am doing wrong?

Chandy Navarata
04-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Which version of DemoShield are you using?

Tim Mayert
04-07-2005, 03:48 PM
I am using DemoShield version 7.53 with Service Pack 3.

You're not going to say that this version does not support the unicode files are you?

Thanks,

Tim Mayert
04-08-2005, 09:09 AM
I downloaded the eval version of DemoShield 8.0 and I got the same results. If Double-Byte languages are supported then how do you make it work?

Tim Mayert
04-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Chandy have you found any answers to this?

I need to know if I have to create seperate screens for the double-byte languages and simply check to see if the machine is running that language and display that screen or go to the main screen an have it use the .txt file for the single byte language?

Any more help would be appreciated....

ncalverley
04-18-2005, 09:59 AM
I have the exact same problem...

Has no one got an answer to this? :confused:

Tim Mayert
04-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Still no answer that seems easy to do. They say they support this, but they also say that for Japanese or Chinese languages you actually have boot your machine into those languages and make the changes to the .txt file. But this still does not seem to make sence as all the other languages still need to be added and therefore saving the file would corrupt the other languages again....

They should simply support a unicode file and then they would not run into this problem.

If you do get it going let me know what you did.

Thanks,

Chandy Navarata
04-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Tim,

In one of my earlier postings, I had suggested the following directory structure:

- demo32.exe
- smartboard9.dbd
- ENU <folder>
- smartboard9.txt <has only the english translations>
- FRA <folder>
- smartboard9.txt <has only the french translations>
- JPN <folder>
- smartboard9.txt <has only the japanese translations>

I would like you to try the same with the attached DemoShield 8.0 Player (demo32.exe) and see if works on all the languages of your choice. You can continue using the 8.0 Player if that works. In the mean time I will investigate why the same wont work in 7.53.

Regards,