PDA

View Full Version : Check for Adobe Acrobat 6 or 7 Reader, Elements, Standard, and Professional

tsgroup
03-21-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm building a CD Browser using DS 8 and want to detect whether a user has Adobe Acrobat 6 or 7 in all flavors (Reader, Elements, Standard, and Professional) before activating a button to launch my PDF. If the right version of Acrobat is installed, then the button to the PDF is activated. If Acrobat 5 or lower is installed then a button with a link to Adobe.com will appear allowing the user to download the latest version of Adobe Reader.

I've seen some great detection examples on this forum, but none that exactly fit this type of detection. Is anyone doing this type of detection with DS 8? Does anyone have an example they can show me?

Thanks for your help,

Lee

Chandy Navarata
03-21-2005, 06:13 PM
Yes, there are pre-defined tokens in DemoShield that will check if Adobe Acrobat Reader is installed. Look for the 'Acrobat' condition type in the Condition Builder of an Event object.

Regards,

EthanBedwyr
03-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Wasn't the Acrobat variable test broken at some point? Maybe it's been fixed since last I heard, but in order to reliably test for acrobat we used to have to set up a slightly different custom condition.

We had to select a custom condition using the IsPDF Global Variable, and then test whether or not that equals 1. Speaking for myself, I'm using DemoShield version 7.53. Has the broken Acrobat variable been fixed for that version?

Wasn't there a KB article Q107611 about that?

tsgroup
03-22-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the reply Ethan. The "Acrobat" condition for event logic in DS 8 seems to work fine in my testing. It just doesn't discriminate which version you have installed. I was hoping someone might have more details (an example) on how to detect different versions and flavors of Acrobat (especially version 6 and 7). I know I need to do a registry check on Acrobat 6 and 7 but I don’t know where to start.

BTW I can't seem to find the KB Q107611 you mentioned on the InstallShield site.

Lee