PDA

View Full Version : old files not overwritten, despite later dates in the package

Corduroy
03-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Some files are not overwritten, despite both the modified date and the creation date of the file already present on the target machine is older than the dates in the installation package. The files does not have a version number or a language. The file transfer is not handled by the script.

The files already present is identical to the files in the installation but I want to have the files with the later dates. Can it be so that the installer does not overwrite the files if they are identical to the ones in the package (despite the later dates)?

I know I can put "always owerwrite" but I just think this is strange...

anitabs
03-07-2005, 02:58 AM
The file can be overwritten only when certain rules like ALWAYS OVERWRITE,VERSIONED FILE,FILE LANGUAGE AND DATE are enforced by the installer service .

If the modified date of a file already present on the target machine is later than the creation date of that file, the file is not overwritten. This rule protects user preference files from being wiped out during an upgrade or reinstallation.

For more information check the link
http://helpnet.installshield.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?mgr=agm&tpc=%2Frobo%2Fprojects%2Finstallshield10-5compact%2FCP_IHelpISXFilesOverwrite.htm&wnd=InstallShieldLivingHelp%7CMain&agt=wsm&ctxid=

Corduroy
03-08-2005, 04:38 AM
The file can be overwritten only when certain rules like ALWAYS OVERWRITE,VERSIONED FILE,FILE LANGUAGE AND DATE are enforced by the installer service .

If the modified date of a file already present on the target machine is later than the creation date of that file, the file is not overwritten. This rule protects user preference files from being wiped out during an upgrade or reinstallation.

For more information check the link
http://helpnet.installshield.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?mgr=agm&tpc=%2Frobo%2Fprojects%2Finstallshield10-5compact%2FCP_IHelpISXFilesOverwrite.htm&wnd=InstallShieldLivingHelp%7CMain&agt=wsm&ctxid=

Thank you for the reply, but I know this, and I have read the "Overwriting Files on the Target Machine" about a hundred times. I can't understand witch one of the rules ALWAYS OVERWRITE,VERSIONED FILE,FILE LANGUAGE and DATE that causes that the older files is not overwritten.