PDA

View Full Version : Activation Code

Chooby
02-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Well, I bought this program through my company and so far I am convinced it's garbage. To begin with, I am on a stand-alone LAN with no internet access to activate the program. I called the support hotline and they said they would activate the code on their computer and it would activate it on my system. When I asked how it would know that the program was activated, they said "it just would." Wow, that is impressive. After they realized that magic wasn't going to work, they didn't have an answer for me and said when they figured it out, they would call back. After spending 500 dollars on a program, I don't want to have to re-install it every 30 days.
Another issue, the entire program assumes that the user is connected to the internet. I can't even read the privacy agreement.
The screen capture function sucks. If I try to do a full screen capture, it changes all of my setting on the templates to a smaller size and the "custom selected area" startes a screen capture while trying to move the select window to where I want it. This program sucks and if it hadn't been Uncle Sam's money that bought it..I would show them where they can stick it.
P.s. still haven't gotten a call back from the support desk...

campbell79
02-26-2005, 09:35 AM
I needed to do a system restore on my new dell computer after I installed Demoshield. In trying to reactivate Demoshield via the Internet and the reactivation failed. This was after the 30 day free support.
I was told that I either had to pay $100 for a support incident or buy a support agreement. If they discovered it was a bug, I would get my money back.

As a software developer, I realize the need to protect intellectual property from misuse, but it is not advisable to antagonize honest customers In the course of a 2??? year life cycle of a product. What happens if my computer / hard drive crashes. Do I need to get on bended knee to get my software reactivated? Do I need to buy it again?

Chooby
02-26-2005, 10:43 AM
The activation system used by this company reminds me a lot of Microsoft and the way they maintain control over their software. (That is why I use Linux)
Another issue I had with the screen capture is the mouse tracking. It is always off where it is supposed to be by at least an inch. My cursor is all over the place. Quality control at this company is lacking. I would imagine and hope they would build software that WORKS before selling it to the public.
I had intended on recommending this program to my organization, but based on the customer support (or lack of) I'm going to recommend against it.
I never did get that call back from the support people about activating the program.

Perion9
02-26-2005, 06:06 PM
I was curious as to what you thought of the free demo version of DS8. It should of shown you the limitations of the product, saving you from spending Uncle Sam's / taxpayers' / my money on a fully licensed version.

Chooby
02-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Well, I didn't get the opportunity to try the free demo. I have a deadline at the end of this month and was told by our programmers that because Installshield was such a good product, this should also work. The free version would not have shown me all the limitations also because I would have downloaded it an run it on an internet connected system, thus not showing me the limitations of using it on a stand-alone system. Although I did spend the money on the full version, at least I am not going to make the mistake of purchasing 1200 more copies. And I still need to figure out the activation problem. Didn't they expect that someone out there may not have internet connectivity or would use the product on a stand-alone LAN? I want to apologize for spending tax-payer money that way (I also pay taxes) and can assure you, I am no longer going to buy products from this company again and I am going to be sure our organization won't either.

Chooby
02-28-2005, 12:51 PM
I solved my problem. Thanks for the support.