PDA

View Full Version : Patching policies in the GAC with QuickPatch results in -6211

JoFischer
02-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi,
we are installing policies in the GAC, what in fact means that per policy one DLL and one CFG file is written in the GAC.

While evaluating QuickPatch with IS 10.5 I tried to patch such a CFG file and during build of the QuickPatch received an error -6211, saying that this file is not a .NET assembly and therefore can't go in the GAC.

To be sure I tested the resulting patch and recognized, that indeed the changed CFG-file has not been changed on the target system.

I think, this is a severe case of missing functionality in QuickPatch-Projects. :mad:
As we are planning to use patches to distribute new language resources, we must be able to patch our policies, as these are used to direct the application to the correct language resources.

In order to allow patching a policy in the GAC it must be supported to patch CFG-files to the GAC.
Please, InstallShield - provide a fast solution for this. To make it more complicated: I need this solution for IS10.5 Prof German Edition.

Thanks,
Jo

anitabs
03-02-2005, 07:31 AM
Check this link
support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q111244 - 7k

JoFischer
03-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks anitabs,
but you either provided the wrong link or you did not understand my question.
Your link describes a case where "Error -6213: Internal build error" is received (I know that already from own bad experience...)

My current problem with patching policies in the GAC results in error -6211.

But please, do not point me to the related knowledebase article - the problem is, that InstallShield must ultimately allow to patch CFG-Files as part of a .NET policy. It is simply wrong to throw that error, as .Net policies by design consist of a DLL and a related CFG file. So - if such a policy is located in the GAC, both files must be "patchable".

I hope this makes more understandable, where my problem is.

Thanks,
Jo