PDA

View Full Version : Add/Remove Programs Icon question

rcf21963
02-21-2005, 05:08 AM
In IS 10.5, under General Information, is the Add or Remove Programs with its properties. One of the properties is "Display Icon". The help says that IS will associate the Icon with the setting in Add Remove Programs.

For some reason, I cant get this to work. The icon IS uses is either the default icon or in some cases it is picking an icon from one of the program files I am installing.

I have found a way to do this manually, but it would be much nicer if IS did what it says it would do.

Does anyone know a trick on getting this Display Icon to work or is this a know issue with IS?

thanks

anitabs
02-23-2005, 07:36 AM
In a Windows Installer based installation, you can hide your application's entry in the Add or Remove Programs panel by setting the Hide Add/Remove Panel Entry property in the Releases view to Yes.

If you do not hide your application, the Display icon property affect how information is displayed in the Add or Remove Programs panel.

Display Icon : Select the icon that is displayed for this product in the Add or Remove Programs panel on systems running Windows 2000 or later. Enter the path to the icon, or click the Browse button to navigate to the .ico or .exe file that contains the icon resource.

rcf21963
02-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Yeah, Windows Installer, seems everything works there! I am dealing with regular install script. It has the same setting, but as my previous post says, it doesnt work.

rahuld
10-10-2005, 02:57 PM
I am facing the same problem...

Any soultion to this.

Thanks,
Rahul

MarcusM
10-11-2005, 03:44 AM
This problem still exists in IS 11. On has to script around it by setting the registry entry manually.

king7354
11-09-2005, 06:28 AM
I have created shortcut in script wiht InstallScript MSI Project.But the problem is coming :when I uninstall from shortcut, all removed but the shortcut from statr menu removed ,Because I create it from script.
How Can I deal with it? Or how can I create another way of uninstall? :confused:

MarcusM
11-09-2005, 06:41 AM
You could explicitly delete it. If you do so, remember to turn off logging before deletion and to reactivate it afterwards, otherwise IS might restore the shortcut again. I don't know if deactivating logging is really necessary, but I've made a habit of doing such things manually. If this brings strange behaviour it's at least something I can correct relatively easyly.

king7354
11-10-2005, 02:03 AM
Thanks a lot ! But it seems not easy to me.
The uninstall is called by windows installer(msiexec.exe),and it has no relationship with IS. I even can not write code to delete it in script ,because the uninstall program dose not go there.
Where can I set to delete the remained shorcut explicitly?
And is there no way to delete the things created by script in IS??!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

agfkkrusty
11-10-2005, 05:48 AM
If you distribute the Icon with your aplication or it's the same of any file that you distribute, in Display Icon you can type <targetdir>\yourexename.exe. You can type any predefined folder.

P.D.: Can you help me with my cuestion "Don't Install' . Thank you.

Juancho
01-11-2006, 05:21 AM
Hello Marcus M.
Can you post info on how to manually create an Add/Remove entry using the Registry?
The thing is that my installer runs a 3rd Party installer which does not create this entry. I would like to give the option to the users to uninstall it separatedly independently from my installation.
I use an InstallScript based installer project and would like to have this scripted rather than relaying on Microsoft's Windows Installer Service.
Thank you in advance,
Juan.