PDA

View Full Version : Q about Launch Associated Application

MickeyF
02-04-2005, 02:44 PM
I've got a .doc file that resides in the same folder as the Demo32.exe program and the .dbd file. I created an event for my bitmap button. When the user left-clicks mouse up, it uses the launch associated application. I tried specifying the file with the <path> token in several different ways, and each of them didn't work.

<path>My ReadMe.doc<path>
<path>"My ReadMe.doc"<path>
"<path>My ReadMe.doc<path>"

I thought I needed to specify the full path, and using the <path> token was the proper way to do it.

I've now figured out that if I completely omit the <path> token, and just specify the file with quotes around it, that it works properly. Based on what I read in the help, I would think I need the <path> tokens somewhere, but it appears I don't. Can you explain?

(DemoShield 7.5)

JoannaG
02-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Hello,

The Path token will direct DemoShield to find the file in the same location as the DemoShield Player that is currently playing the demo.

I suggest you use <path>My ReadMe.doc<path> to specify the path.

Then create a sample distribution and test the demo from there. A copy of ReadMe.doc should reside in the distribution in the same location as the demo32.exe (DemoShield Player) file. So in a CD Browser distribution, a copy of ReadMe.doc should reside in the Bin folder. Test the demo from the distribution.

Knowledge Base article 102356 INFO: Where Does DemoShield Look for Files for Use in a Demo? will be helpful for learning more about this topic. The InstallShield Knowledge Base is located at http://support.installshield.com.

I hope this is helpful. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

MickeyF
02-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I previously did exactly what you recommend. I specified <path>My ReadMe.doc<path> and it didn't work. I tried it now, and it works. The only thing I can figure is that maybe I had a space between the '.doc' and '<path>' (which would be hard to see with the variable width font).

As a followup question, what kind of error reporting is possible? Suppose the file I specify in the launch associated application really is missing (e.g. they copied the CD and for some reason that file didn't get copied). Is there any kind of error reporting that can tell me, either at runtime or while debugging within the DemoShield IDE, a nice error like "File Not Found - " and then telling me the path of the file it was looking for?