PDA

View Full Version : Where's the script?

DMason
02-01-2005, 03:11 PM
I will be giving a presentation to my fellow developers about creating installation packages for windows apps. I am hoping to cover the basics of an InstallScript project. However, for the last several years, I have been authoring and maintaining Basic MSI projects. I don't have any experience creating InstallScript projects with a recent version of InstallShield's software.
My last experience with InstallScript projects was with InstallShield Pro ver 5.5. As I recall from that version, in the scripts view, you could see the entirety of the InstallShield script. By following the script, you could determine which dialogs (and in what order) would be presented to the end user. In general, you could add, edit, or delete InstallScript code anywhere within the script.
I am now using InstallShield 10.5 Pro. When I navigate to the InstallScript view, all I see is a comment header and an include statement. Where is the script that is run at install time? How can I view it?

vinodn1
02-01-2005, 04:11 PM
InstallScript installation programs are event driven. The InstallScript engine generates a series of events in a specific order. The installscript event handler functions are called even if they are not explicitly visible in the scripts view.

You can also add these functions from the InstallScripts view. Go to the menu on top of the scripts which says "Before Move Data", "Move Data" and so on for associated events. Each such event has associated functions like OnBegin, OnFirstUIBefore etc. Click on these functions and the default code will be added.

(Note a default script can also be created when you use the Wizard to specify your requirements).

-Vinod

DMason
02-01-2005, 04:46 PM
InstallScript installation programs are event driven. The InstallScript engine generates a series of events in a specific order. The installscript event handler functions are called even if they are not explicitly visible in the scripts view...

What are all the events/event handler functions?
What order are they called in?

vinodn1
02-01-2005, 04:56 PM
This link should give you the entire list of events and their order of occurance.

http://helpnet.installshield.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?mgr=agm&tpc=%2Frobo%2Fprojects%2Fdevstudio9helplangref%2FLangrefEventHandlers.htm&wnd=InstallShieldLivingHelp%7CMain&agt=wsm&ctxid=search%2Fgsearch.asp

You can also search for "event handlers" in the online documentation or InstallShield help files.

-Vinod

Diadem
02-02-2005, 06:24 AM
The link is very useful but I feel it is needing a diagram to give us a high level idea as to the logic the InstallShield engine uses to call these events.

I am also upgrading InstallShield Pro 5.5 to InstallShield Script 10.5. We have several projects all with similar scripts and my brief is to make it as time-efficient to upgrade as possible.

I am considering just doing the OnShowUI() fix: OnShowUI (http://helpnet.installshield.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?mgr=agm&tpc=%2Frobo%2Fprojects%2Finstallshield10-5helplib%2FMigratingFromInstallShieldProfessional6x.htm&wnd=InstallShieldLivingHelp%7CMain&agt=wsm&ctxid=search%2Fgsearch.asp)

But I fear I may be missing out on InstallShields new features. So what do you recommend, sticking with procedural or moving to event driven? How can I sell the event driven model?

Somebody
02-03-2005, 03:10 PM
You may want to check out the "Event Map for InstallShield 6" section found at: http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/ispt_doc.htm

It was with InstallShield 6, that event driven installs were introduced.

DLee65
02-03-2005, 04:15 PM
I know my CD copies of IS 10 and 9x included a large poster that shows the event map as well. Double check the packaging that the program came in to see if you have one already.

Unfortunately, I have not found one of these published online, however, if you contact InstallShield perhaps they could ship you one? Not sure if they would do this but there is no harm in asking.