PDA

View Full Version : Project Filenames

anothermike
02-01-2005, 12:30 AM
What is the naming scheme for the .dbd, .exe, .txt and .manifest files? I have a project named "installation" (with installation.dbd, installation.txt, and installation.dsj in the folder) and there are no problems. When building the project using the simple build process, the build folder contructs the necessary files but they don't run as built. If I rename the files to demo32.exe, demo32.exe.manifest, demo.dbd and demo.txt, then the project will run. What are the necessary naming schemes for the projects built by DemoShield? This may be a problem with lauching one demo from inside another if the names all need to be the same.

Thank you!

anothermike
02-01-2005, 12:34 AM
I might as well ask it now...

Are there any issues with launching a demo from another?

My situation:
I have an autorun on my distribution CD which will launch a simple demo to ask the user if they want a tour of the program or install. If they choose to install, I launch (will try to!) the InstallShield installation program for regular install. If they choose the tour, I will launch another DemoShield demo which does a program tour and then returns back to the original demo when complete.

Is this just a pipe dream or can it be done???

Thanks!

Chandy Navarata
02-01-2005, 08:29 AM
There is no limitation on the naming of the project files. If you wish to launch the demo automatically when the user double clicks on demo32.exe then you should name the demo file as demo.dbd. The DemoShield Player (demo32.exe) has been implemented such that if a file name by the demo.dbd exists in the same folder then it will automatically launch it. Otherwise the user will be prompted to select the DBD.

Rearding the second posting... there are DemoShield actions to achieve the behavior you described. Look into the Launch Application action to launch the installation and Launch Demo action to launch another demo from the primary demo. You can find details about these actions in the online help.

Regards,

anothermike
02-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the info about only a project named demo will get launched automatically. I don't want to have my users know what project they need to launch, so I guess I'll keep projects in different folders but keep them named "demo".

Of the 4 files in the build directory (demo32.exe, demo32.exe.manifest, demo.dbd and demo.txt), which are required to exist for the demo to run properly? (I guess I can figure it out by removing them to see what happens, but I'd rather get the "official answer".)

Thanks

Chandy Navarata
02-02-2005, 05:00 PM
You need the DemoShield Player (demo32.exe) and the demo (demo.dbd) at the least. If you wish to distribute localized versions of your demo then you also need demo.txt with the appropriate language translations. The purpose of demo32.exe.manifest is to provide the newer XP-style UI during playback and can be considered optional.

Hope this helps.