PDA

View Full Version : How can I convert Installscript MSI project to Basic MSI project?

installer-build
01-28-2005, 04:53 PM
How can I convert Installscript MSI project to Basic MSI project?

Christopher Painter
01-28-2005, 11:34 PM
I seem to remember an article over on www.installsite.org that talks about how to do this.

johnludlow
01-29-2005, 11:57 AM
(copied from the other thread for the sake of convenience)

There's no wizard to do it, but you can do it fairly easily with a few export/import and copy/paste actions.

Firstly, create your Basic MSI project, set it up with the right codes, names and all the rest of it. Then save it and close it. Open your InstallScript MSI, and go to the component view, right click and choose Export Components Wizard. Export all your components to your Basic MSI project using this wizard.

Now go to the Custom Actions view, and you can export a CA by right clicking on it and selecting the Export option. Do this for each of your CAs.

Now you need to go to the Direct Editor. This is where it gets tricky, but not too tricky. You need to copy the Feature, FeatureComponents and Directory tables into your Basic MSI setup, which you can do simply by selecting the table in the Direct Editor, pressing Ctrl-A in the table then Ctrl-C (to copy the whole thing to the clipboard) and then pasting into the correct table in your Basic MSI using Ctrl-V.

Almost done now. Open your Basic MSI project, and go to the Custom Actions view. Select your CAs and you'll see that it didn't copy over the sequencing options for the CA. Select the correct sequence and condition.

Finally, have a look round the Setup Design, Registry and Files & Folders views to see whether everything looks sensible, and you should be about done.

Note that this leaves you with the default UI - any custom dialogs will need to be made from scratch again, unfortunately.

Christopher Painter
01-29-2005, 02:46 PM
And back to the other thread I show how AdminStudio can do it.

johnludlow
01-31-2005, 05:43 AM
Cool so we have both bases covered - the manual way (which I describe) if he doesn't have AdminStudio/can't afford it and doesn't have SMS, and the automatic way if he can use AdminStudio.

Christopher Painter
01-31-2005, 08:20 AM
If someone has a project that is not confidential I could always convert the file and send it back.

faisalaslam
06-17-2009, 05:44 AM
Hi Christopher,

You mentioned that you can use AdminStudio to convert IS MSI Project to basic. Is that offer still valid? :)

I dont have AdminStudio to do that myself.

Thanks in advance,
Faisal