PDA

View Full Version : MSDE object installation

adipeka
01-23-2005, 06:01 AM
Hi,

From the Redistributables view I am selecting "Installshield MSDE 2000 object for NT platforms". MSDE gets installed at the time of setup initialization. I want to change this behaviour. MSDE should be installed before the file copy starts i.e. in the OnFirstUIBefore event. How can I achieve this? Please help.

Thanks,
Dipeka

slowhand
01-24-2005, 05:39 AM
You can add the Actions for the MSDE object manually. Go to the sequences page and Select INSERT, then choose "Merge Module Customn Actions" there you can find "INSTALLMSDE..:" and "UNINSTALLMSDE...".
I found out that the best place for this actions are at the end of the user interface sequence just before the "ExecuteAction"...
I was not able to make it work in the Execute Seuquence. !!!

mikeyfev1
01-27-2005, 11:07 AM
To get these "Merge Module Custom Actions" to appear, you must have first added the "Installshield MSDE 2000 object for NT platforms" to a Feature. Once you do that, you have also added the InstallMSDE custom action to the beginning of the install sequence. And I have found no way in IS 10.5 to locate/delete these custom actions.

I did what you said and MSDE began installing right at the beginning of the process. Can someone PLEASE list the complete instructions for how to install MSDE later in the installation process?

Amoussou
03-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi adipeka,

Thanks to all the posts on the forum, I finally can install the MSDE 2000 after the features selection! Here is how I manage it.

Software used: Installshield Professional 10.5
Project Type: Intallscript MSI Project

First of all download the new "ISMSDE2000.msm".
(You can find it as attahement to this post; http://community.installshield.com/showpost.php?p=286295&postcount=23)
Copy it in "C:\Program Files\InstallShield\Objects\" (where "C:\Program Files\InstallShield\" is the path to your installshield software).
This fix avoid the installation of MSDE 2000 at the start.

Then follow the instructions provided in the article Q108974:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q108974

The installation of MSDE will now on start exactely where you call the function InstallMSDE().

If nothing happens try first to comment this line for debug purpose:
FeatVal = FeatureIsItemSelected ( MEDIA, "MSDEFeature" );
Then uncomment that line and try again with the following syntax for a subfeature: "Feature1\\Subfeature1".

Hope it helps.
Jonathan.