PDA

View Full Version : MSDE 2000 Instance doesn't start

dhorne
01-18-2005, 01:08 PM
I have made a copy of the MSDE 2000 SP3 prereq. I modified the conditions so that it will install if my instance does not exist. I have also modified setup.ini for MSDE so that my instance is created by the MSDE 2000 SP3 prereq.

Everything works fine if MSDE doesn't exist on the system, but if MSDE does exist then for some reason after the MSDE 2000 SP3 prereq executes and creates my instance it doesn't force a reboot.

My install then tries to run a sql script that chokes at the server login screen because my instance hasn't started. I have tried adding a ServiceControl table entry to force the my instance/service to start, but have had no luck? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

slowhand
01-19-2005, 03:21 AM
I use the MSDE Merge Modul and had a lot of troubles with it, but finally make it work. One thing i found out:
The MSDE Service does not start automatically after installation. You can add a Custom Action after the installation of MSDE (or befor the SQL scripts are handled) where you execute Installscript Code like this:

function MyFunction(hMSI)
STRING svCommandLine, svResult, svProgram;

begin
svProgram = "net";
svCommandLine = "start MSSQL$IFX_TM";
MessageBox ( "Starting the MSDE service..." , INFORMATION );
LaunchAppAndWait(svProgram, svCommandLine, LAAW_OPTION_HIDDEN);
//Delaying twelve seconds to allow service to start
Delay(12);

end;

dhorne
01-25-2005, 11:26 AM
slowhand,
Thanks for the help! It works like a charm.

dhorne

gianmariai
02-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Hi,
where exatly u put your code to run scripts after msde install?

do u have some code to show me? I've scripts.. but i dunno where to run this script

g.