PDA

View Full Version : XML File Changes - Myriad Problems

rsinclair
01-17-2005, 11:25 AM
I can't be the only person who is running into problems with this feature. Here are the problems I've run into so far.

1. Install rolls back if Element Name does not match up with Attributes and their values (e.g. Element Name = 'add[@key="Database" and @value="MyDatabase"]' and the value attribute is set to '[SQLDATABASE]' in grid, setting EN to 'add[@key="Database" and @value="[SQLDATABASE]"]' fixes the problem)

2. Selecting the Element Name textbox and then clicking on another node in the tree causes the string identifier for the clicked node being added to the string itself (e.g. changes the text "add[@key="Database" and @value="MyDatabase"]" to "{ID_STRING96} add[@key="Database" and @value="MyDatabase"]". When not in edit modes shows up as "{ID_STRING96}{ID_STRING96} add[@key="Database" and @value="MyDatabase"]")

3. XML files are not properly formed on install. The path to each node is explicit each time. This means that Web.config files are completely useless. ASP.NET does not support this type of document. (e.g. correct XML="<A><B>value</B><C>value</C></A>", InstallShield XML="<A><B>value</B></A><A><C>value</C></A>" note the extra xml tags for "A" element - try it 4 levels deep and you'll go mad.)

4. The attribute grid sometimes does not update (display problem) when changing nodes. It looks like it shows a value from the last item selected.

5. The grid is just as annoying to use as the properties windows in VS.NET. Tabs do not work, you can't arrow out to another column, etc, etc. It is painful to use this feature.

6. There does not appear to be a way to order the entries in the tree. In a web.config file, the text
<authorization>
<deny users="?"/>
<allow users="*"/>
</authorization>
will result in totally different behavior than
<authorization>
<allow users="*"/>
<deny users="?"/>
</authorization>

Really, I am extremely disappointed in this feature. It seems like it was thrown together overnight so that a marketing person could say "Yes, we support XML file changes". Unfortunately for me, I believed that marketing person. This feature is probably the only feature for which I upgraded from 7.0 (that and problems with XP SP2 in V7).

schiluveru
01-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Please look for my post in the thread "Installscript msi project not installing files" for a solution to unexected rollback.
-Sada

I can't be the only person who is running into problems with this feature. Here are the problems I've run into so far.

1. Install rolls back if Element Name does not match up with Attributes and their values (e.g. Element Name = 'add[@key="Database" and @value="MyDatabase"]' and the value attribute is set to '[SQLDATABASE]' in grid, setting EN to 'add[@key="Database" and @value="[SQLDATABASE]"]' fixes the problem)

2. Selecting the Element Name textbox and then clicking on another node in the tree causes the string identifier for the clicked node being added to the string itself (e.g. changes the text "add[@key="Database" and @value="MyDatabase"]" to "{ID_STRING96} add[@key="Database" and @value="MyDatabase"]". When not in edit modes shows up as "{ID_STRING96}{ID_STRING96} add[@key="Database" and @value="MyDatabase"]")

3. XML files are not properly formed on install. The path to each node is explicit each time. This means that Web.config files are completely useless. ASP.NET does not support this type of document. (e.g. correct XML="<A><B>value</B><C>value</C></A>", InstallShield XML="<A><B>value</B></A><A><C>value</C></A>" note the extra xml tags for "A" element - try it 4 levels deep and you'll go mad.)

4. The attribute grid sometimes does not update (display problem) when changing nodes. It looks like it shows a value from the last item selected.

5. The grid is just as annoying to use as the properties windows in VS.NET. Tabs do not work, you can't arrow out to another column, etc, etc. It is painful to use this feature.

6. There does not appear to be a way to order the entries in the tree. In a web.config file, the text
<authorization>
<deny users="?"/>
<allow users="*"/>
</authorization>
will result in totally different behavior than
<authorization>
<allow users="*"/>
<deny users="?"/>
</authorization>

Really, I am extremely disappointed in this feature. It seems like it was thrown together overnight so that a marketing person could say "Yes, we support XML file changes". Unfortunately for me, I believed that marketing person. This feature is probably the only feature for which I upgraded from 7.0 (that and problems with XP SP2 in V7).