PDA

View Full Version : Missing default Windows Installer folders

moogleii
01-14-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, or just something that I don't know how to undo, but some of my default Windows Installer folders are missing (for example [SystemFolder], [System16Folder]).

1. Apparently if you go to Custom Actions in the Installation Designer,
2. specify a new action (such as an EXE),
3. specify a File Location using one of the Predefined Directory with the drop down menu,
4. then select the specified directory (such as [SystemFolder]) and press delete, it clears the field, but also deletes it from the list of predefined directories.

I'm not sure how to restore them. Any help would be appreciated.

moogleii
01-14-2005, 05:27 PM
...that starting a completely new project will restore them, but I would like to be able to restore them to pre-existing projects of course.

TsungH
01-16-2005, 12:00 AM
I am not able to reproduce what you described with InstallShield X Express Edition. You are encouraged to contact mySupport (http://mysupport.installshield.com/) with regard to this behavior.

afempire
03-30-2007, 08:46 AM
To put the folders back in the predefined directories, you will need to edit your msi with ORCA. ORCA is a free msi editing utility provided by Microsoft in their Windows Installer SDK. When editing in ORCA choose the directory table and
add a new line specifying the original directory name, the directory parent as
TARGETDIR and the Default Directory as .:Name of built in directory. Ex.

Directory Directory Parent DefaultDir
ProgramMenuFolder TARGETDIR .:Programs

If you have problems figuring out your entry you can copy and paste the row from another msi.