PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Reports problems on upgrade

ironmike
01-14-2005, 04:17 PM
I have merge modules from Business objects (http://support.businessobjects.com/fix/merge_modules.asp#02) (I am using the English modules under Merge Modules for Crystal Reports 10 RDC Deployments...)

I only install two of the mergemodules:
CrystalReports10_rdc_runtime.msm and
CrystalReports10_rdc_reportengine.msm. They are linked to the same feature/module holder.

Everything is fine on a new install. On a maint install (rerunning the same version of setup after the initial install completes), I get
---------------------------
AudioVAULT Framework
Error 1706.No valid source could be found for product AudioVAULT Framework. The Windows Installer cannot continue.
OK

I started logging when components were getting installed and what the target folders were in a log file and this is what I found:
New install
Installing DAO 3.6 files
=========================================================
FileCopy: C:\Program Files\Broadcast Electronics\AudioVAULT Framework\{3E567EBB-BEC5-467B-80B4-7EA973518C91}\AudioVAULT Framework.msi (New File)

Installing Windows Media Framework files
FileCopy: C:\Program Files\Broadcast Electronics\AudioVAULT Framework\{850888DF-E83F-4049-9465-FF19226B3490}\AudioVAULT Framework.msi (New File)

Installing Crystal Reports files
FileCopy: C:\Program Files\Broadcast Electronics\AudioVAULT Framework\{C4F181E6-8E0D-414C-AD1D-DBDA1BA18F04}\AudioVAULT Framework.msi (New File)

-----------------------
Upgrade
-----------------------
Installing DAO 3.6 files
FileCopy: c:\audiovau\{3E567EBB-BEC5-467B-80B4-7EA973518C91}\AudioVAULT Framework.msi (New File)

Installing Windows Media Framework files
FileCopy: c:\audiovau\{850888DF-E83F-4049-9465-FF19226B3490}\AudioVAULT Framework.msi (New File)

Installing Crystal Reports files
FileCopy: c:\audiovau\AudioVAULT Framework.msi (New File)

Note the path change, and (more significantly?), the fact that there is not a GUID at the end of the folder where the Crystal reports .msi file is located.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is an InstallScript project, and I am not as experienced in MSI progjects. I do have an MSI debug log, if that would shed some light as to what might be causing this problem.

thanks for any info,
Mike Peterson

Somebody
01-14-2005, 04:53 PM
I am also interested in a solution, because I am experiencing the same problem.

wyzerd
11-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Crystal Reports merge module is the culprit. To verify this remove Crystal reports from the project and watch the error go away. It is likely you are looking at a 2nd upgrade of a product when this occurs. I don't yet have a valid solution but am dealing with the same problem right now. InstallShield claims it is a problem with the windows installer, however, I don't care where the problem exists, I want a solution. If you search for error 1706: you will find it has numerous product failures. I have had limited success with cache MSI locally under the merge module options, but there is no gaurantee. I am currently separating it out into its own Feature. Oddly, the it wquit happening and I am trying to reproduce it again. This problem is not fixed in version 12 of installshield either. I am using 11. If you are creating a standalone MSI install you will have to upgrade to 12. Personally, I think I'll drop InstallShield altogether if I have to troubleshoot there software i can write my own bugs in Team Studio 2005 installation package software. :mad:

Sorry I don't have a solution, but at least you can look at the problem.....

George Archibald

ironmike
11-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Looking at the CrystalReports10*.msm files in the direct editor, it looks like they were built by the WISE installer... conspiracy...? Hmmmm? :rolleyes:

The only way that I have been able to work around it is to look for some reg keys that the CR MSM puts in. When running an upgrade, if I find the key, I unselect the feature. One note, on this install, I have the OnMaintUI modified so that there are only "Remove" or "Modify" options, where the modify does a FeatureReinstall().

wyzerd
11-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Conspiracy indeed... It was not so long ago that Microsoft made changes to their OS to impede WordPerfect in an attempt to promote Word. And specific changes to IPX/SPX protocol caused problems for Novell. Of course now that Microsoft want a taste of the linux world their attitude seems to be changing. While I harbor no love for either product, I have to wonder if this isn't the same situation here between Wise and InstallShield or if it isn't a poorly written module produced by Wise. But I digress.

Your explanation of what takes place makes sense to me. I see now why moving the module made my error go away... I think.

I removed Crystal Reports Module from the Feature that had all the services/modules associated with the main app and gave it its own feature. In doing so, I made it so that that feature is marked as unchanged OnUpdate and skipped. Is that right?

ironmike
11-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Sounds like that should work.

I also have a function in the OnMaintUIBefore() event that deselects the feature if it's already installed. This catches someone re-running the setup.

Mike

wyzerd
11-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Yep, it was a fluke. I have to do the same code to stop it on upgrade as well. I don't understand why it didn't produce the error before, but it is back now. I am adding Before maint and Before UpdateUI. Since it is a hidden required product, I am assuming it is already installed if they are in this mode. We don't give the user the option as the reports will not function without it.

This does leave one important question...

What if Crystal is the item that has become corrupted? Outside of Uninstall/Reinstall I don't see a way to repair that feature.

ironmike
11-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Other than an uninstall/reinstall, another option would be to have the CR MSMs in a separate setup (called, if necessary, by the "main" setup). Sounds like more work than it's worth, though, IMHO...

Mike

wyzerd
11-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all your help with this. It was good having someone to work on this problem with since I am a one man band when it come to Installation problems where I work.

My email address is george.archibald@cmsrtp.com if you ever want to bounce anymore ideas off of me.

Thanks again!

George