PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall Not Removing Some Shortcuts

teldin
01-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Weird problem here. My installation installs one icon for an exe to the desktop, and adds a folder with 3 shortcuts to the start menu, and consist of one shortcut to an exe file. What is weird, is if I uninstall the program, the shortcuts pointing to an exe file remain after uninstall is finished. Is there any setting to tell uninstall to remove these shortcuts as well? There is nothing special about these shortcuts, same as the others that are working, added them through the install shield express system, they are not advertised shortcuts.

Any ideas, what can be causing this, and how to fix it?

teldin
01-14-2005, 04:14 PM
After doing more checking, I find that the shortcuts that are still there after uninstall are linked to an exe file that is not uninstalling either. It ends up that for some reason, the uninstall is not removing 6 files, and I have no idea why. Never had this problem with other install shield express versions, not sure why it is happening or how to stop it. There are no changes to these files properties like permanent, permanent is not checked, so I am not sure how I can tell the uninstall to always remove these files.

Does anyone have any ideas to fix this issue? The developing computer seems to work, but testing this on two other windows XP computers causes this problem. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Mark

vikramlagu
01-19-2005, 02:45 AM
Is it the case that the files that are not getting uninstalled are in use at the time on uninstall process.

Mostly installer is not able to remove such file as the are locked by some other process.

teldin
01-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Files that are being left behind are not in use. I even did a reboot before running uninstall to ensure none of the files were in use.

What I have found is that some of my older installation program are having the same problem. Only difference between now and then is that these WinXP systems now are running Windows Installer 3.0 while these installs are made for Installer 2.0, could there be an issue here, bug in 3.0 or a compatibility issue with an install made for 2.0 running on a system with 3.0?

What I am trying is a custom action to delete these files if they exist during uninstall, seems to be working. Once removed, the folder gets removed properly, just left with the shortcuts not removing. So atleast it is at an acceptable point since none of the files are left behind. Just a weird situation, right now I have two XP machines that are working fine, and two that aren't.

Mark