PDA

View Full Version : IIS Applications and handling of services

Nate Bloyd
01-13-2005, 02:47 PM
I am |this| close to getting approval to upgrade to IS 10.5, but I have one outstanding issue I need help clearing up. Obviously there have been many improvements to the way IIS applications and therefore services related to those applications are being handled (I am upgrading from DevStudio 9). The long standing, and often argued practice here has been to document the fact that users are to manually stop services prior to installing web apps. And to compound that issue, we developed an application that mass installs a bunch of our packages which stops services prior to running the installs. So when I tested a few of those applications built in 10.5, and manually stopped services prior to installation, I get the SetupCompleteError dialog and the following in the log file: Action start 14:13:34: caIISCleanup.
1: Error with IISRT: -1106
Action ended 14:13:35: caIISCleanup. Return value 3.

And the only relevance I find when I perform a search for this is to ensure that services are started prior to the installation. So, my question is why do I have to ensure that services are started? Why weren't they checked by the process prior to stopping them?

Nate Bloyd
01-24-2005, 02:28 PM
For those unfortunate enough to ever have this issue...
It came to be that the test development machine which we used to build our IS 10.5 packages did not have IIS installed, and once in place, the IS 10.5 builds ran fine.