PDA

View Full Version : Installscript msi project not installing files

schiluveru
01-12-2005, 06:16 PM
I have create setup project which include XML File changes views, sql scripts execution and user logon information.

The generated setup file is behaving like a debug/test version of Installshield (10.5).

I have no clue on where it is actually disabled the copying files in setup. It shows up all the dialog boxes written in OnFirstUIBefore and OnFirstUIAfter.

Major problem is it is not actually copying the files to destination directory on user machine.

Please anyone provide info on enabling to copy the files. I am really struct with this one.

Thanks,
Sada

Somebody
01-12-2005, 07:04 PM
In the “Organization/Setup Design” view, check that all your Components are associated with Features. Also, in the “Organization/Setup Types” view, check that all your Features are associated with the appropriate Setup Types.

schiluveru
01-12-2005, 07:47 PM
The setup organization looks good. Still not copying the installation files on destination machine.

-Sada

schiluveru
01-13-2005, 11:47 AM
After removing XML file changes it's been copying/installing the files correctly.
The XML file changes view has lot of issues, it still not been addressed by IS in service pack 1.

This is a weird behaviour of XML file changes view.

-Sada

schiluveru
01-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Here is the solution to all the problems with XML file changes view:

1)Solution to not installing files:
This is caused by missing Properties in the Property Manager view. After adding these following properties, the installer copies to files to destination folder.
Property Name: Value
IS_PROGMSG_XML_COSTING Costing XML files...
IS_PROGMSG_XML_CREATE_FILE Creating XML file %s...
IS_PROGMSG_XML_FILES Performing XML file changes...
IS_PROGMSG_XML_REMOVE_FILE Removing XML file %s...
IS_PROGMSG_XML_ROLLBACK_FILES Rolling back XML file changes...
IS_PROGMSG_XML_UPDATE_FILE Updating XML file %s...

These property should be added using Direct Editor ->Property table.
I suspect that these properties does not get added to the Property table due to upgrade from previous versions.

2) Solution to Unexpected Rollback error (-1603) in updating xml files:
Edit the xml elements XPath queries using Direct Editor instead of xml file changes view provided by install shield.
Use Additional Tools -> Direct Editor -> Table Name "ISXmlElement"
Column "XPath". Do not edit element values with XML file changes view. If you edited xml element values with XML file changes view earlier, you need to delete the file and reimport.

Eg: XPath column value for an Element
add[@key="settingKey" and @value="SettingValue"]

Replace the above XPath query with the following:
add[@key="settingKey"]

I suspect that the unexected rollback is caused by not finding the xml element in the config files using full XPath query (the Installshield generates all attributes to find an element, which is not a best thing to find an element).

Hope this helps someone using XML file changes view after upgrade and unexpected rollback error.

-Sada

After removing XML file changes it's been copying/installing the files correctly.
The XML file changes view has lot of issues, it still not been addressed by IS in service pack 1.

This is a weird behaviour of XML file changes view.

-Sada