PDA

View Full Version : Problem with US english support files

Jens Kirk
01-12-2005, 08:44 AM
Just updated a project from IS Developer 8 SP 2 to IS 10.5 SP 1.

It seem to be working except for one very annoying detail: English (US) Support Files no longer seem to be extracted to support (temp) directory. The other language that is currently offered by our installation is Spanish and it works fine. Since English (US) is set as default it is a bad thing :( . We use it for a license agreement and if the file isn't found the Installer currently exits (per script).
Anyone experienced similar problem? I tried removing the support file and then adding again. That didn't help.

Sometimes I really think this product redefines the term reverse engineering :rolleyes:

- Jens Kirk

Jens Kirk
01-19-2005, 09:47 AM
If anyone can confirm this error could you please forward to the InstallShield people as a bug report. InstallShield/Macrovision has a $100 fee per incident for InstallShield 10.5 when it is an update :mad: :mad: :mad:

MichaelU
01-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Is this in a multi-language installer with English as the default language? If so this is a build problem with InstallShield 10.5. As a partial workaround you should be able to go to the ISRelease table, and set your DefaultLanguage to 0. Please test this carefully, as 0 is not a normal option, so it doesn't get tested well.

Jens Kirk
01-20-2005, 03:32 AM
@MichaelU

A multi-language installer with English as the default language is exactly what it is! I presume that the error is well-known by the InstallShield people. :)
Do you know if the problem only affect the default language? If so, I made another work-around where I fall back to a language independent file if the language dependent file is not found, but I have to make sure it only happens for the default language (english).
(It is used with a license agreement text.)

Thanks for the help :cool:

MichaelU
01-20-2005, 11:59 AM
The failure to include the language-specific support files only occurs for the default language, so yes your alternate workaround sounds viable.

vishnub_s
06-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Hi Kirk,
I am facing the same problem in ISX. I am using InstallScriptMSI project. In which, i added some files as English language specific files. I am using ten release flags to build the entire ism. At that time these English language specific files are not copied to temp dir., But if i build with 2 or 3 release flags, i can find such files in temp dir, i am not sure whether it will happen every time.

But for other languages, those language dependent files are available all the time. Did u got any solution or reply from InstallShield regarding this issue.

Thanks in Advance,

Vishnu :)

Jens Kirk
06-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Currently we only create one release ... the full release. So I guess the release flags are not an issue (unless few can become an issue).
It was strange to see the IS 10.50 upgrade had no problem, except for this one issue.
The workaround we use now, might actually be preferable to the previous method, since the same files are used for most latin 1 countries (if not all).
It seems to me that the InstallShield people have a bit of a problem working with the MSI tables. Not that I can blame them. :(

gspaldin
06-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Setting the DefaultLanguage to 0 in the ISRelease table causes my install to display a blank dialog with 1158 in it immediately after the install is launched.

f1database
06-14-2005, 04:10 AM
I got the same problem here. I'm building now only a msi-file and not a setup.exe and it seems to work fine.

vishnub_s
06-14-2005, 07:25 AM
Hi Database,
Can you explain how you fixed the issue. Still i am facing the problem.
Building msi file alone means just compilation..? can you please explain..

Thanks
Vishnu :)

f1database
06-15-2005, 06:59 AM
When you plan your Release you can set the option "Build setup.exe". I disabeld this option and as a result the system only builds a cap and a msi-file.