PDA

View Full Version : MDAC 2.8 Prerequisite

burked
01-12-2005, 07:31 AM
Can someone give me the command line to make the MDAC prerequisite not reboot when it is finished? Entering the Microsoft silent setup command line for mdac_typ does not work: /Q:A /C:"dasetup /Q /N"

I'm assuming because the prerequisite is wrapped in a setup.exe there must be a way to pass the above command line into the setup, but I cannot get it to work.

thanks,

D

Christopher Painter
01-12-2005, 10:34 AM
I answered this question for you:

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=136831

burked
01-12-2005, 10:38 AM
As I stated, that's the command line for the mdac_typ.exe, but does not work when placed in the prerequisite (which calls setup.exe)

Christopher Painter
01-12-2005, 11:34 AM
No where in that command line are you using my suggestion. Re-read the Microsoft article. Don't call the mdac_typ.exe from InstallShield. Extract MDAC_TYP to a directory then use that directory from InstallShield and call it with standard MSI command args for silent and noreboot.

Edit: Don't use standard MSI args, its not MSI like I first thought. Real args are posted in later thread.

burked
01-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback, but that doesn't answer my question...

Christopher Painter
01-12-2005, 07:40 PM
I have on many occasions found situations where you pass a command line arg ( /C ) to OHotFix ( the self extract utility from MS that they packaged MDAC_TYP with ) that OHotFix ignores the command line and uses the default command line. This is often in contradiction to what the MS documentation states is the behavior.

If you try what I say:

Extract mdac: mdac_typ.exe /t:c\extract /c
Then copy those files to a subdirectory where your prereqs are kept
Define a modified PRQ file with silent command line of dasetup.exe /Q /N

It will work. If you still can't figure it out perhaps I'll post a new blog with a solution for the community.

burked
01-13-2005, 07:27 AM
Alright. I get what you're saying now...
I was trying to keep the mdac install in the prerequisite area. I didn't realize you were talking about creating a new prerequisite with the extracted files. I thought you were talking about integrating the mdac install later in the installation...

Your suggestion is a possibility for me. I'll give it a try.

thanks,

Daren

Christopher Painter
01-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Did you have any luck?

burked
01-14-2005, 06:55 AM
Haven't had a chance to do it yet, but i'm sure it will work that way. The files appear to be extracted in the InstallShield method as well, just called through a setup.exe, so it wouldn't look any different in the resultant install either.

thanks again for the advice.

Daren

burked
01-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Rebuilding the prerequisite by calling dasetup.exe directly with the /Q /N commandline works just fine. Successful install, and no pesky reboot in the middle.

Thanks for the suggestion. Thanks for re-suggesting...

Daren

Christopher Painter
01-18-2005, 01:27 PM
No problem. Really it should have just worked first try, but the reality is that the Setup Preq portion of IS is a step in the right direction, but it is also really immature. I have a couple of outstanding WO's ( mentioned in another thread ) and several more that I could suggest that I just haven't bothered to. Also the example PREQS ( MDAC, JRE ) that come with IS are incomplete / broken solutions. I imagine in a release or two it will get better but until then its developer beware.