PDA

View Full Version : exe custom actions

emoule
01-11-2005, 12:51 AM
:confused:

Hello

I am trying to launch an exe file as a custom action to install Lotus Notes.

I have added setup.exe (for Notes) into the files section of the project and created a custom action to launch the setup.exe installed with product. I have placed the custom action in the Install Exec Sequence after the 'AfterInstallFiles' runs. I have also got a condition that checks to see if the file exists before running ($Setup.exe=3).

While running the install I don't get any error messages but the custom action doesn't happen (well the setup.exe isn't launched).

Any hints? I am using the evaluation program for 10.5, trying to decide if it will do what we want.

Thank you

RobertDickau
01-11-2005, 09:51 AM
That condition $Setup.exe=3 doesn't test to see if a file exists, but instead tests if a component called Setup.exe is selected to be installed locally. To search for a file, you might look into using the System Search view and wizard...

emoule
01-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Thank you

The component setup.exe does exist and is set to install locally. Is there something else I have to set so that the setup.exe is run during the install?

Sorry, I am fairly new to install shield.

Thanks again

RobertDickau
01-13-2005, 10:36 AM
As a test, does your launch-an-EXE custom action work if you remove the condition?

emoule
01-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Hello

Thank you for your help on this one

I have got it to work now, basically I needed to have the custom action set to a deferred action instead of an immediate action. If I take the condition out if gives me a warning, but works anyway.

My exe file runs now just before the setup complete dialog box, do you know if there is a way to stop the complete success dialog from appearing? Because it appears at the same time as my exe file starts it could be confusing for our users. Or do you know if there is a way to wait until the exe file has run before the setup complete success dialog appears?

Thanks again

RobertDickau
01-14-2005, 01:22 PM
On the MSI side, you can set the action to be synchronous to get it to wait for the process to complete before continuing the installation; on the EXE side, you might need to pass a command-line switch to get the EXE to stick around. For example, an InstallShield 5 setup.exe needs the /SMS switch to stay up until the whole installation is complete. Do you know what the setup.exe you're launching was written with?