PDA

View Full Version : Losing logon information during patch

Tony Patterson
01-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Hi

I have used the LogonInformation dialogs in a basic msi project to set the user account for running com+ applications. The information from these dialogs is populated into the com+ identity fields from the properties IS_NET_API_LOGON_USERNAME and IS_NET_API_LOGON_PASSWORD. However when I build a patch using Patch Design and then run it, I get this error during removing backup files stage:

Error 27508. Error installing COM+ application X. The identity or password set on the application is not valid.

How can I get it so that either these properties are used again while patching or they can be ignored.

Cheers
Tony

Tony Patterson
03-02-2005, 05:00 PM
This is still happening but with an extra side-effect I just noticed.

You can continue after these error messages and the patch says it has completed successfully. However... there are no components under the applications in Windows Component Services view. For some reason the patch is removing these although the actual dlls and tlbs are still present under the COMPlus Applications folder.

Anyone have any ideas?

Tony

dmitryr
10-09-2007, 09:25 AM
I have the same issue. Does anybody have a workaround for it?

Brian Savidge
07-17-2008, 04:22 AM
Hi All
I'm also getting the same issue using Installshield 2008. I'm assuming there must be a nice solution given its been an issue for 7 years.

Any help would be appreciated
Brian

joshstechnij
07-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Windows Installer does not persist property changes across installations. If a property value was set/changed during a first-time install, that property's value will revert to its default in maintenance installations.

You can typically work around this by storing the property value in a registry entry or file, and then use a system search to read the property value. However, if you are storing possibly sensitive username/password information, it would likely be better to use a custom action that encrypts and stores the value somewhere, and reads and decrypts it during maintenance installations (including patches).

More information can be found in the following articles:
Does Windows Installer remember at uninstall the value of a property set during install? (http://blogs.msdn.com/windows_installer_team/archive/2005/08/03/451354.aspx)
How can I retain the value of a Property between install and uninstall? (http://blogs.msdn.com/windows_installer_team/archive/2005/08/04/451356.aspx)

Brian Savidge
07-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks for reply
My 'solution' at the moment has been to always display the LogonInformation dialog and ask users for the details each time they do an update (or install).

This means IS_NET_API_LOGON_USERNAME and IS_NET_API_LOGON_PASSWORD get filled in and everything works nicely.

Strangely in contradiction to what you have suggested, other settings don't seem to change / reverted to the installer settings e.g. I altered the rolls adding some and removing the one that gets installed by the installer and all that remains unchanged after the update.

I've also experimented with trying to put conditions on the COM+ Application stuff, so that it only happens when the feature is being added for the first time but no luck so far - its like you have no choice, if you have a COM+ Application ticked, you must have it. This may also prove a bit troublesome if I want to allow the user to select which COM+ Applications they want to install from a custom install, but thats for another day.

Brian Savidge
07-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Another thought: whilst I could store values from the initial install, they may no longer be what is in use.

There is a high likelyhood the settings will have been modified in the components services management console to suit the network the system its being installed on. The last thing I want to do is change the current settings if I can possibly avoid it.

Thanks
Brian