PDA

View Full Version : Detect installations

mikebsr
01-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Before getting Demoshield, I created an installscript application that used many of the msi APIs to detect the status of previous installations. This way, the user could see what was already installed, what version it was, etc etc etc.

Unfortunatly, that method was a little hokey. It doesn't look very professional and relies on my code being correct so it could keep re-installing on top of itself without wanting to go into maintenance mode.

Anyhow, I have my Demoshield application complete and it looks very cool, works very well, and has been fairly stable and bug-free (none of the problems highlighted here).

What I really miss however, is my ability to detect previous installations and make decisions based on their presence.

Is there some way to do this in DemoShield? Are there any "accepted" methods to achieve this goal?

The only way I could think of, is to write a .dll that returns each thing I want to know one at a time. That's very painful and a maintenance nightmare.

If anybody has any suggestions or input, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Chandy Navarata
01-31-2005, 01:47 PM
If the software installations that are of interest to you create registry keys then you can use the Read Registry Key action to decide if a software is installed based on the presence of this registry key.

Regards,