PDA

View Full Version : Shortcut removed when normal user logs on

rsknowles
01-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Why would two of my four desktop shortcuts be removed when a regular user logs in? ALLUSERS is set to 1. The shortcuts are marked as advertised and I have verified that all 4 shorcuts exist in the All Users profile desktop folder after installing as administrator.

As soon as a regular user logs in the windows installer window pops up and removes only two of the four desktop shortcuts.

What's strange is that those 4 shortcuts also exist off the start menu in "All Programs" and none of those 4 were removed.

Any thoughts?

TsungH
01-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Look at Event Viewer and identify what's causing the repair. An installation log at repair (when a new user logs on) will be more informative. You will need to enable a machine policy for that. Also, verify if there is any custom action or any customization in MSI that may remove these 2 desktop shortcuts.

rsknowles
01-07-2005, 01:31 PM
I have found some warnings in the Event Viewer and have attached the log files if anyone is able to make sense of it. Thanks.

Stefan Krueger
01-10-2005, 05:10 AM
Looks like for both logs the user was logged on as Adminstrator. You said the shortcuts disappear if a difefrent user logs on. Do you have a log of this situation?

rsknowles
01-10-2005, 08:30 AM
The shorcuts are removed when any user other than the original user that installed the app logs in. The logs that I provided are when I install using my domain account that is in the Administrators group on the local machine. Then I login as the local Administrator account. Even in this situation the 2 shortcuts are removed. Do you still want me to provide logs for a regular user?

Stefan Krueger
01-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Oh, so your log 2 actually is a sample of the situation where the shortcut disappears? I didn't find any hint about the removal in that log.

Stefan Krueger
01-10-2005, 11:55 AM
I had a second look, and I noticed that MSILogFile2.txt isn't about your product, but about WebFldrs. Now there are two questions:
1. Why is the WebFldrs setup being triggered?
2. Why does the WebFldrs setup remove your desktop shortcuts?
Any chance that there is another log file that relates to your product that logs the removal of the desktop shortcut?

rsknowles
01-10-2005, 01:47 PM
I created those logs by turning on MSI Logging policy thru the registry. Once I logged in as the second user it removed the shortcuts and I then ran %TEMP% in the RUN command window to open the temp folder for that user. Those were the only two files there. Is there another location I should search for log files?

I don't know what WebFldrs is doing. This product does include support for the Update Service if that makes any difference.

TsungH
01-10-2005, 04:33 PM
I found the following in MSILogFile1.txt. Do you have anything in RemoveFile table?
MSI (s) (E0:C0) [13:03:55:551]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=RemoveFiles,Description=Removing files,Template=File: [1], Directory: [9])
MSI (s) (E0:C0) [13:03:55:551]: Executing op: ProgressTotal(Total=2,Type=1,ByteEquivalent=175000)
MSI (s) (E0:C0) [13:03:55:561]: Executing op: SetTargetFolder(Folder=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\)
MSI (s) (E0:C0) [13:03:55:561]: Executing op: FileRemove(,FileName=GPM Calculator.lnk,,)
MSI (s) (E0:C0) [13:03:55:561]: Verifying accessibility of file: GPM Calculator.lnk
MSI (s) (E0:C0) [13:03:55:581]: Executing op: FileRemove(,FileName=Equipment Maintenance.lnk,,)
MSI (s) (E0:C0) [13:03:55:591]: Verifying accessibility of file: Equipment Maintenance.lnk

rsknowles
01-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Unfortunately for me I feel less than intelligent but I greatly appreciate the help. That was indeed the problem. I had originally added those entries to remove existing shortcuts from a prior version during an upgrade.

rsknowles
01-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Why would the RemoveFile action execute when a different user logs on?

TsungH
01-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Because RemoveFiles Action (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/removefiles_action.asp) is in InstallExecuteSequence table? It also depends on the value of InstallMode column specified for the component listed under Component_ column in RemoveFile Table (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/removefile_table.asp).