PDA

View Full Version : Public Training Courses - Learning MSI Projects - A few questions

Kristan
01-07-2005, 09:54 AM
I have been using Installshield (5 and now 7.04) for about a year and a half. I have written a few InstallScript installs and are now in the process of switching to MSI installs for all our products. Most of the work I've done so far on the projects has been a combination of very fast documentation reading and trial and error.

I am thinking of asking my company if i can go on the Public Training Course - Learning MSI Projects using InstallShield 10.5. But i have a few questions that don't seem to be answered in the documentation for the course:

1. Is it an introductory course? I have and am going through Bob Baker's Installshield for Windows Installer Developers Guide (it's a little out of date (MSI engine 1.1 and the UI is pretty different), but so far it's usable and educational).

2. How does the book Learning MSI Projects using InstallShield 10.5 compare to the course. What would I get from the course that i can't get from the book?

3. Are there major differences between InstallShield Developer 7.04 and 10.5 that would cause me problems if I took the 10.5 course and kept using 7.04 for development? (We may upgrade to 10.5 soon but not before I finish the project i'm working on right now)

Has anyone out there taken the public courses? What were your experiences and what was your background with InstallShield products going into the course?

RobertDickau
01-07-2005, 04:41 PM
I imagine I'm not eligible to vote about the quality of the course, but a few notes:

We don't assume any InstallShield experience for the courses, and if you have some experience the first day will largely be review; students in a class tend to have a wide range of backgrounds and expectations, and probably the biggest benefit of taking the class is to have an instructor there to answer questions as you go through the material. (That book you mention is the manual for the Basic MSI course.)

One of the big differences between the course material and Bob Baker's Developer book is that the book focuses on "Standard" (InstallScript MSI) projects, while the training course covers Basic MSI projects.

The development environments are similar enough for Developer 7 and InstallShield 10.5 that you wouldn't be lost; you might tune out when we talk about MSI 2.0/3.0 and the new product features, but the MSI basics are similar enough that the big idea should still be useful.

If you have further questions, you can also reach us here: www.installshield.com/training/quick_response.asp.

Steve S
01-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi,

I attended the same course but for InstallShield X last year, im assuming they are very similar.

I thought the course was very useful, I had very little experience with InstallShield before the course only some very basic IS 5 knowledge. The course covered the basics very well and together with my notes and the course material ive been going through the process of upgrading all of our installs to MSI. It didn't teach me every little thing I needed to know but just gave that extra bit of confidence with the software and now im progressing nicely.

Cheers
S