PDA

View Full Version : Major Upgrade: Bad CA Condition in Previous Version

virtualbry
01-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Hello All,

In preparing our application for a major upgrade, I discovered that one our our junior developers conditioned a Custom Action in our previous release with a 1, which causes it to execute all of the time. It has been sequenced after InstallFinalize. This custom action attempts to parse a file.

Although this custom action should have been more specifically conditioned, it did not cause noticeable problems during our QA cycle.

Now that I've prepared our installation for a major upgrade, I am receiving an error 1720 because the custom action is attempting to parse a file that has been uninstalled during the major upgrade.

I need to find a way to alter the condition of that custom action in the previous version's msi, which has already been deployed to thousands of desktops.

Is there a way to programmatically modify the condition of a CA in an msi that has already been installed prior to removing the previous version? For example, could you use the automation interface for Windows Installer 2.0 to do this?
Is there a way to change the condition of the Custom Action in the previous version by applying a Patch prior to running the major upgrade?
Is there another way that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

virtualbry
01-07-2005, 04:22 PM
If an InstallShield representative is monitoring these boards, we would appreciate some assistance, as this is an urgent issue.

Thanks!

TsungH
01-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Please contact mySupport (http://mysupport.installshield.com/). For IMPORTANT SUPPORT ANNOUNCEMENT, please refer to Announcements (http://community.installshield.com/announcement.php?f=133).

virtualbry
01-07-2005, 06:01 PM
...ok, OR if there is another user who has seen this before and knows how to work through the issue. :rolleyes:

RobertDickau
01-10-2005, 02:35 PM
A minor upgrade re-caches the MSI database, so that might be one approach...

virtualbry
01-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. Great idea... We'll give that a shot.

Thanks again! :)
--Bryan