PDA

View Full Version : Prerequisite - Always fails ?????

Oysteinl
01-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Hi

I have a bit trouble using the Prerequisite functionality.

Once the Prerequisite in question is installed it shows a message Box:
"The installation of <"name of prerequisite" >" appears to have failed. Do you want to continue." <YES\NO>

However the files that the prerequisite should install are all present on the target machine, IE they have been installed by the prerequisite.

What I do is simple.
1.- I create an MSI project (All info contained in one MSI file) that only contains the ATL 3.0 merge module.
2.- In the main project I create a prerequisite that only contains the MSI project from above (1.)

3.- Adds it into my main installation.
4.- When the ATL project from 1.) is complete the installer returns the message:
"The installation of <"name of prerequisite" >" appears to have failed. Do you want to continue." <YES\NO>
Even though nothing seems to be wrong with the newly installed files.

Is there some return code that is wrong or are there other scenrioes that I need to look out for when working with prerequisites

-------------------------
Note I:
The ATL.MSM (3.0) merge module has no dependencies listed in the redistibutalbes view.

Note II:
All other files that I have tested the prerequestie functionality in also returns the error mentioned above.

Christopher Painter
01-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Do a search for setup prerequisite and you'll find a recent thread where I point out various bugs in Setup Preqrequisites to RobertDickau ( InstallShield ) and he creates work orders for them. This is one of them. I've noticed that setup preqs determine if the installation succeeded not by checking the exit code but by reevaluating the original detection logic.

Oysteinl
01-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks

I did a more in-depth search\reading and found the "Silent Install with setup prerequisite" - http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=142258&page=2&pp=5&highlight=setup+prerequisite where you have placed two work orders, this is the correct one right?

Anyhow, as far as I make out of the article, none of these are fixed in the service packs available today.

So if I am to use setup prerequisites I will no matter what run into the error that states that the prerequestie has failed ?

Christopher Painter
01-04-2005, 09:20 AM
You got it. Wanna know what sucks more? I'm an AdminStudio 6.0 user. AS6.0 always includes a prior relase if IS. That means in 6 months I'll have what you have now, and when you get your fixs that I submitted in 6 months I'll still have another 6 months of waiting to get them in AdminStudio.

Oysteinl
01-04-2005, 09:36 AM
6 month lag....??? on what should be a fairly simple fix, I mean, the problem is already identified ?

The only good thing about these bugs, is that you actually found them and that you made a good description on what is wrong, so that we hopefully can get a fix in the near future.

thanks for sharing the information with me.

Christopher Painter
01-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Well I found these bugs in 10.0 so that should tell you how long they have been around. Also I didn't mention all the bugs I found in the IDE for creating preqs. InstallShield doesn't tend to release hotfixes and services packs are rare also. They tend to bounce fixes up to the next ( point ) release and then charge everyone to upgrade.