PDA

View Full Version : Skin Customization Kit

neal007
01-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Hello,

I've battled this thing for I don't know how many versions and how many thousands of dollars in new versions of IS. My one "to the point" comment is -- if you are going to offer this skin customization system, then do it RIGHT! Your documentation is unsatisfactory and has too many questions on what the allowable options are, etc. I don't see any reason why you can build this into a windows GUI so that it isn't so cosmic. I also find it odd that we are building ISN files yet 10.5 still uses .skin files.

How do we create a custom skin and have it included in the EXE? I deliver my apps as a single EXE and not a folder with files such as the setup.isn in disk 1 - not an option!

So please, you offer an option to customize the skins, please do it right, document it right, and update this ailing system that hasn't changed for years now!

abrilliantstone
04-07-2005, 11:07 AM
We have a Basic MSI Project in InstallShield 10.5. The "Skins Node" that the IS documentation refers to does not show up in the User Interface list. I tried placing a sample .skin file in the DISK1 folder and that didn't work either. If anyone has a good solution for applying skins in 10.5, please reply.
Thanks! :confused:

Whirtee
04-07-2005, 11:45 AM
AFAIK you can only change skin for InstallScript-UI based projects i.e. InstallScript MSI and pure InstallScript, not basic MSI.

pat_cole
12-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Is this still the case with InstallShield 11? If yes, can I convert from MSI to InstallScript MSI?

RobertDickau
12-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Correct: skins are supported only for InstallScript-based projects. (I don't know anything about it, but there's a third-party product that claims to do this mentioned at www.installsite.org > Windows Installer > Tools and Tips.)

If you do want to convert your project, I believe you can look under Project > Project Converters...