PDA

View Full Version : Can't register new version on Update Service

neal007
12-29-2004, 01:14 PM
I just upgraded to 10.5 and when I click the button (...) to register this update on Update Service, I don't get the ISUS web page, I get a .txt editor showing:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"><html><head><title>Register Your Product</title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf8"><script>function SubmitForm(){document.tooluser.target="_self";document.tooluser.action="http://services.installshield.com/tooluser/toollogin.asp?tool=dev&pname=%s&pguid=%s&vname=%s&vdispname=%s&vsig=%s&vlock=%s";document.tooluser.submit();}</script></head><body onload="javascript:SubmitForm()"><form name="tooluser" method="POST"><input type="hidden" name="pname" value="quikSlip for StoreFront 6"><input type="hidden" name="pguid" value="{B66BE0DA-7FEC-4FB0-8206-5ADB66DA4B38}"><input type="hidden" name="vname" value="1.401"><input type="hidden" name="vdispname" value="quikSlip for StoreFront 6, Version 1.401"><input type="hidden" name="vsig" value="{60CEC91A-EB09-4AAF-A9B9-DA7A2A19293D}"><input type="hidden" name="vlock" value="{DF6C1A5D-4492-4730-8FE2-7BA50E019A50}"><input type="hidden" name="tool" value="tool"></form></body></html>

MichaelU
12-29-2004, 03:05 PM
That looks like we have an incorrect registry setting installed. Please try modifying the following key to drop the extra parameters being passsed to it. The new value should be:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\InstallShield\10.50\Professional]
"UpdateServiceRegistrationURL"="http://services.installshield.com/tooluser/toollogin.asp"Please let me know how this works for you.

ksachdeva
12-31-2004, 02:04 PM
I am having the same problem and changing the registry entry did not solve it.
Please suggest.

Regards & thanks
Kapil

MichaelU
12-31-2004, 03:10 PM
Hmm. There could be two things going on here. One is the submission URL (controlled by the registry setting). The other is how IE treats the temporary file with this information. I've always seen it treat it as the HTML file that it is. But it sounds like in your cases it's being opened as a text file. If you save that file to your destkop, say as "test.htm", and then double click it, do you get the expected behavior?

ksachdeva
12-31-2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks Michael,

For sure IE instance is opening the file as txt file. As you said I saved the content in html file and then opened it. It took me to the update service page .... and after that there were steps for registration which I completed.

Also registered my product on the update service.

Now as the 3rd step to use the update service, I click on the refresh button in the help page of update service page in my project so that it can change the value of property "Is Product/version registered?" to "Yes" but nothing happens. I restarted my Visual studio but no changes.

Please suggest.

Regards & thanks
Kapil

MichaelU
01-04-2005, 10:59 AM
I'll have to look into this further. It appears somehow the settings on some machines are not treating the temporary files the way we intend them to be treated (for the text vs. html part). Verifying the registration status of the project when you click refresh could be another issue; it's one I'd like to explore a bit if you're willing.

You mention Visual Studio - are you running from Visual Studio using our integration, or from the InstallShield 10.5 IDE itself? If you haven't been running from our IDE directly, could you try opening this project there just to see if it can properly refresh the registration status? Alternately if closing and reopening the project or entire IDE will cause it to refresh properly? [edit: oops, I just reread that closing/reopening doesn't help you] Please let me know what you find, as it will make it easier for me to track things down on our end. If there are two fixes, I'd rather fix them both at once.

ksachdeva
01-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Micahel,

I already tried refreshing the stuff from IDE but no success. I am now going to uninstall my stuff and reinstall it.

regards
kapil

ksachdeva
01-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Michael,

FYI. Re-install of Installshield 10.5 did not help solving this issue either.
The behavior is same in VS.NET and stand alone IDE.

Regards
Kapil

MichaelU
01-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the update. I'll see what I can find out, and if I can reproduce that part of the behavior in house, etc. In the meantime, this doesn't cause any blocking performance problems, i.e., the product is registered, and installs of it check with Update Service properly, right?

ksachdeva
01-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Michael,

I am not able to use update service at all. I have created a short cut "Check for updates" which says that the product is not registered. The error I get is

"Error 13003 : Version Not registered with the update service"

I would assume that if "Is product/version registered" is showing "No" then setup would also think product is not registered.

Would really appreciate if you can help me out here as I am running out of time for my product launch and my only motivation to switch to Install shield from VS.NET setup project was update service.

Regards & thanks
Kapil

MichaelU
01-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Sorry Kapil, I haven't been able to reproduce these additional problems. It appears that IE in Windows XP SP2 is not handling the tmp file as previous versions did, and that's what requires either the workaround of saving its contents to a .htm file, or just using the update service manually. However, once registered, the status can be refreshed on SP1 or SP2 without problems.

ksachdeva
01-06-2005, 06:08 PM
So, as a next step what should I do ?. I am pretty confident that I have registered my stuff correctly on update service.

By the way did you do it with update service starter account or regular update service edition. Because I am using "update service starter account"

Regards
Kapil

MichaelU
01-07-2005, 09:31 AM
I'd suggest asking over in the Update Service forum. They'll be more aware of any differences between starter edition and full accounts, as well as more versed in debugging the 13003 error. While the first steps were difficulties with the IS10.5 side of things, I think the current difficulties are wholly on the Update Service end of things. Of course I could be wrong, but only they'll know that. ;)