PDA

View Full Version : Patch problem and fix

Brad Peterson
12-27-2004, 11:43 PM
I ran into a sticky issue which I partially solved, so I figured I'd just post what I found here so that it can be useful for others searching for possible answers to a specific error:

While testing a patch I made, I ran into this error:

'Upgrade Patch cannot be installed by Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify the program to be upgraded exists on the computer and that you have the correct patch.'

It turns out, the cause in my case that my patch was to take the version of the program up to version 2.02, but, the Windows Installer already thought I was running version 2.02 (I used the update service test utility to determine this).

What happened was, I previously tried to make a 2.02 patch, but that patch had a strange error. So I simplified the 2.02 patch, rebuilt it, and ran it again. Well, I guess during the first time I tried the 2.02 patch, it did increment the version, even though the patch didn't fully work. So the second time, it saw that the version number installed and the version number the patch wanted to take it to was the same. So, it gave me that error message.