PDA

View Full Version : How to disable maintenance dialog

RBheem
12-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Running the installation second time goes to maintenance dialog. How can I disable this dialog? It should install same as the first time.

Thanks

TsungH
12-28-2004, 02:02 AM
That isn't the default behavior of Winodws Installer. It is doable, but I can't think of any "5-minute" workaround offhand. It will be easier to achieve with InstallShield X, now InstallShield 10.5, Professional or Premier Edition.

RBheem
12-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Is it possible to uninstall it and then install? Is this avoid maintenance dialog?

TsungH
12-28-2004, 12:31 PM
That will qualify as major upgrade. For major upgrade, PackageCode property, ProductCode property, and ProductVersion property have to be changed. From IDE, you should use Upgrade Paths view. For information, please refer to Update Tasks (http://documentation.installshield.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/isxhelpx/IHelpHowDoIPatching.htm).

Christopher Painter
12-28-2004, 12:44 PM
On my installs I modify the sequence so that when they run it again it says welcome, ready to remove, finished. Most of my builds are major releases so if they get a new version it looks like they are installing for the first time. But if they run the same build twice its toggle on toggle off.

This is the fundemental design of MSI. Unless you do some crazy hack like null the guids MSI knows its installed and hence asks what would you like to Change rather then Install.

moogleii
01-20-2005, 04:40 PM
You were able to do this with Express? If so, any pointers?